Newbie needs direction

waynenoel

Hello. I am just getting started learning language and I don't know where to start. It seems like the first things I should know well are HTML, CSS, PHP, and JavaScript... right? If so, should I study one at a time, or mix them, which comes first, etc... :0) Thanks,Wayne

Learn HTML and CSS first. HTML lays out the structure of your page, CSS makes it look pretty. Javascript is for client-side interaction, like a mouseover effect when you hover over an image. PHP is for server-side processing, like if you want your site to send email or use a database. Before you even look at PHP you need to have a solid understanding of at least HTML.There's also about 20 other topics exactly like your question, so browse around and see what other people say.

Like justsomeguy said, definately HTML and CSS first. I would suggest reading through the XHTML tutorial at W3Schools too. XHTML is basically just some rules put into HTML, and it isn't really a language of it's own, but it's worth learning the rules of it.For PHP and Java Script, it depends on what you want to do. Java Script is client side (done by the browser), and PHP is server side (done by your server). It you're looking to add some cool effects, or do things like validate forms, add some mouse over effects or something similar, than Java Script is what you're looking for. But, if you'd like to make your own web application, like a photo gallery, guestbook, blog or even as advanced as a forum system, I would learn PHP and Java Script. They both have their own seperate purposes, but learning both and using them correctly in a good way will truely improve the quality of your developing/programming if you ask me. :)

Great! Thank yall. That's what I thought. So, I have another question, and it's OK if you think the question is too individual specific.I have two weeks off right now. And I am hoping to be able to get as much done training wise for HTML/CSS/PHP/JavaScript, and in that order of importance for now.If I spend at least 8 hours per day doing nothing but study, do you think I could get as far as PHP or JavaScript? I am a good WYSIWYG develper, pretty quick learner etc...I'm asking this because there is a beginning web developer job openning in a couple weeks where the only requirement is knowing HTML, but the guy said the other three are desired. So I'm wondering if I could perhaps gain a large enough grasp to honestly say I'm ready for it then. And I'm serious about saying at LEAST 8 hours per day -6 days per week -for the next two weeks...

I'm sure you could do it, but I wouldn't. It's best to get a good grasp on a language before starting a new one in my experience. I wouldn't honestly say that two weeks would be enough for you to say that you have good experience in PHP/JavaScript even if you spend 6 hours a day working on it. I've been developing for almost 8 months now, and there's still things that I don't understand (I'm still young though, so that may have something to do with it.) If you want to try and do it, then I'm sure you could try. JS and PHP have a sort of similar syntax (I emphasize sort), so if you have good knowledge of one, then picking up the other shouldn't me too hard. It's really up to you.Isn't WYSWYG just a rich text editor? I didn't know you could develop with it.

I'm sure you could do it, but I wouldn't. It's best to get a good grasp on a language before starting a new one in my experience. I wouldn't honestly say that two weeks would be enough for you to say that you have good experience in PHP/JavaScript even if you spend 6 hours a day working on it. I've been developing for almost 8 months now, and there's still things that I don't understand (I'm still young though, so that may have something to do with it.) If you want to try and do it, then I'm sure you could try. JS and PHP have a sort of similar syntax (I emphasize sort), so if you have good knowledge of one, then picking up the other shouldn't me too hard. It's really up to you.Isn't WYSWYG just a rich text editor? I didn't know you could develop with it.
-Umm..... Ok you got me there. I meant that I use GoLive and Dreamweaver with ease in the Layout view mode. And I only putter around in source(html) mode when I have trouble getting the effect I want.But so, really I would only hope to have a "strong" claimable grasp on html and css by two weeks end. I just wondered if you thought I could get through it enough to dig into some php/js.. ? BTW thanx for the feedback, it helps.

If I spend at least 8 hours per day doing nothing but study
in my opinion you should read through the tuorials on this site & then just start working on different projects. wheter they are comercial or just for your portfolio, using the w3schools tutorials as a reference point. This experience is better than study. The best way to learn any language is to speak it. also if you want to learn this stuff i suggest you ditch dreamweaver. most people eventually reach a point were they prefer to write their own code.

I agree. If you're serious about getting a web designer job, you should know how to write your own code. You could still use the code section, but I wouldn't go near design. I use Notepad when I code, and my stuff turns out fine.

I agree. If you're serious about getting a web designer job, you should know how to write your own code. You could still use the code section, but I wouldn't go near design. I use Notepad when I code, and my stuff turns out fine.
OK, thanx guys. I will do that. It is what I've been planning on. I'll let you know how far I get. :0)'=Wayne