Firefox CSS problem

clord

Hi all -I have a web site that I just finished developing. During development, I had the website in a folder on my local computer with a sub-folder(css) for storing CSS files.I tested the site using both IE and FireFox and it displayed perfectly in both.My problem is that once I move it to my web server, IE still displays it just fine, but FireFox acts as though the CSS files don't exist. The content appears, but without the CSS files being applied.I even changed my references to the CSS files to be explicit paths instead of relative paths. Still IE is fine and FireFox doesn't seem to find the CSS files.I'm a little confused since it all worked fine when the site was on my local computer.Any ideas?The site can be found at www.apeasy.com/newThanks.

Thanks!I'm still abit of a newbie..would "I/O Error: Unknown mime type : application/octet-stream" suggest a server issue, or CSS issue?
I am thinking it has something to do iwth how you saved it. What prgram did oyu use to write the CSS file? The problem is Firefox is not accepting it as a true CSS file. Ie is easy going and will try and work with whatever you give it. That can be misleading or give the impression that the code is ok.

I am thinking it has something to do iwth how you saved it. What prgram did oyu use to write the CSS file? The problem is Firefox is not accepting it as a true CSS file. Ie is easy going and will try and work with whatever you give it. That can be misleading or give the impression that the code is ok.
The CSS was an open source script. I have altered parts with Dreamweaver. (I learn best by seeing the results first then changing or adding to what is there)

did you try taking out that last line in your css file? the one that doesnt validate

the css works for this page http://www.apeasy.com/ where the css file is in the root directory but for pages where the css files are in this folder: http://www.apeasy.com/new/css/ all the files there seem to just open a save prompt when i try and open them in the browsermaybe try moving the location of these css files. altough im just clasping at straws here

if you cant find another way you could put the css in the head of the html. altough i would only do that if you cant find another solution

you will have larger html filesif you need to do it place the contents of your css file in between <!-- and --><style type="text/css"><!----></style>

Sorry to jump in here, but the problem seems to be that the server thinks the file is of type application/octet-stream (i.e. a binary file) rather than a text file. If you've saved the contents of the file with Notepad, as aspnetguy suggested, then the file on your computer should be a text file. Perhaps, if the server is running Unix/Linux rather than Windows, there may be a conflict happening when you are transferring the file over FTP. You might check for a setting in your FTP program that allows you to transfer files over as text as opposed to binary (or vice-versa).You might also try saving the file, using Notepad again, as a txt file rather than a css file. Then, once the file is saved, change the extension from .txt to .css. Alternatively, you might try saving the file as .txt and uploading that to your server and changing the reference to the stylesheet to this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="layout4setup.txt" />

These are just ideas to get the server thinking that the file is a text file rather than a binary file. Most likely, however, the problem is occuring in the FTP transaction as I mentioned above.

Thanks for the ideas jesh.I'm not using an FTP program to transfer the files, we actully host the web site here. The box that we are hosting it on is running windows.No luck on renaming and changing the reference either..Thanks for the reply