Learn VBScript?

Guest FirefoxRocks

Guest FirefoxRocks

As far as I know, only Internet Explorer based browsers can render VBScript. I didn't find ANYTHING that said that in the whole tutorial other than it is a Microsoft language.Also, the language of ASP can be changed to adapt to JavaScript. Because JavaScript is much better suited with a powerful server-side thing like ASP, I would recommend that you put in the tutorial use JavaScript for ASP.I have tried to implement VBScript in order to get things to display only in Internet Explorer however it didn't work that good and it messed up my entire site (it was implemented in the PHP script :) )So correct me if I am wrong, there is no point to learning VBScript and that it sucks!

I made a little vb script to run instead of a batch file when I want to start certain applications with one click rather than one click for each application. Here's part of it:

Dim shellSet shell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")shell.run("C:\visual_studio")WScript.Sleep(1000)shell.run("C:\widget_engine")WScript.Sleep(1000)shell.run("C:\iTunes")WScript.Sleep(1000)Set shell = Nothing

Seriously though, I tend to avoid VB (and VBScript) like it was the plague and I just can't understand why it is so popular (in ASP and ASP.NET).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,I am fluent in Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and VBscript is an attempt at an internet version. Visual Basic is replacing Basic, and it is microsoft (lots of people use microsoft).I belive there is a reason for learning VBscript, because it is not at all dissimilar to VBA (although I keep banging on about this, and VBA is much more capable) and, for people like me who know VBA, is a good way of heading towards learning JavaScript. It certainly helpded me.Thanks For Reading!

I only ever recommend learning vbscript if you are going to be using ASP (which I don't usually recommend either). I still use vbscript with ASP even though I prefer Javascript. The reason is it is very hard, if not impossible, to find JavaScript/ASP examples online, everything is in vbscript.

I belive there is a reson for learning VBscript, because it is not at all disimailar to VBA (al though I keep banging on about this, and VBA is much more capable) and, for people like me who know VBA, is a good way of heading towards learning JavaScript. It certainly helpded me.
OK, I'll agree with that. The first language (after BASIC) that I learned was VBScript so that I could learn VBA (this was 1998) in order to work on a project for my employer at the time. This knowledge did help me better understand how javascript worked. Then, through javascript, I learned more valuable languages such as Java and C#.In my person experience, I would suggest that you completely ignore VB, VBA, and VBScript and dive straight into javascript. If you want to move on to a more powerful language, learn C#. Once you know javascript and either Java, C/C++ or C#, it'll be relatively easy to learn VB (VBScript, VBA, etc.) if you require it for a certain project.