What does it take?

tuulen

Yes. And look at that, only 3 more years until 2010. I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that.
Hello, HAL?(hehe,...2001, a space odyssey!)Hello, Dave!Honestly, this IE7 is weird.;-)

In a way IE7 just makes things worse. Since its release I have had to use 3 stylesheets per page (normal browsers, IE6 and older, and IE7)It has made some improvements but still has many flaws making it just another variation that you have to code for.

In a way IE7 just makes things worse. Since its release I have had to use 3 stylesheets per page (normal browsers, IE6 and older, and IE7)It has made some improvements but still has many flaws making it just another variation that you have to code for.
My old Microsoft based PC, an HP pavilion XT983, is now more than five years old. It came with IE6, and, although I am just getting started with Web design, even I can tell that the new IE7 is simply bug nuts crazy, like nothing I could explain.Some day, eventually, maybe I will have learned enough to be able to explain this experience in "professional" language, but for now all I can say is that IE7 is somewhere between weird and flat out BAD, not good.It is nothing less than irresponsible for Microsoft to have passed such a thing onto the public. I am going to Mac OS X.;-)

If you've had enoguh experience with IE6, you would certanly appreciate all the fixes it has made. Look at the explorer bugs on positioniseverything.net. All bugs you see there, except the escaping floats bug have been fixed in IE7. IE still has a lot of rendering bugs, but at least the all famous ones were fixed.If people were using conditional comments before, the troubles now would've been less.

It seems that way every time Microsoft releases a new version of IE. That's one of the unfortunate things about developing for IE. The way it goes is that in a year's time or so, people will be gradually moving away from IE6 and it will fall into the same place where IE5.5 is now. I don't even bother to test on IE versions earlier then IE6, the way I see it is that if someone is using IE, they need to be up to date. It becomes no longer worth it to support the older versions when so few people are using them. Granted maybe there's 5 or 10 percent of people using the older versions, but they really do need to upgrade. I had enough headaches trying to develop for those versions when they were new, there's no way I'm just going to keep adding browsers to test. I'm going to replace them, not add them. I'm testing with IE6 now, around the time when IE6 and IE7 are both about 50% of IE, I'll test with IE7 as well, and shortly after that I'll drop IE6. That just seems to be the way it goes with IE, I'm not going to spend my time helping Microsoft make their bad products look good. If a certain client requires legacy support, then they will need to foot the bill for the extra testing, and if they want they can take my bill up with Microsoft.

It seems that way every time Microsoft releases a new version of IE. That's one of the unfortunate things about developing for IE. The way it goes is that in a year's time or so, people will be gradually moving away from IE6 and it will fall into the same place where IE5.5 is now. I don't even bother to test on IE versions earlier then IE6, the way I see it is that if someone is using IE, they need to be up to date. It becomes no longer worth it to support the older versions when so few people are using them. Granted maybe there's 5 or 10 percent of people using the older versions, but they really do need to upgrade. I had enough headaches trying to develop for those versions when they were new, there's no way I'm just going to keep adding browsers to test. I'm going to replace them, not add them. I'm testing with IE6 now, around the time when IE6 and IE7 are both about 50% of IE, I'll test with IE7 as well, and shortly after that I'll drop IE6. That just seems to be the way it goes with IE, I'm not going to spend my time helping Microsoft make their bad products look good. If a certain client requires legacy support, then they will need to foot the bill for the extra testing, and if they want they can take my bill up with Microsoft.
I agree, I do not support anything older than IE6 although I do test now for oth IE6 and 7. IE7 is being used by about 29% while IE6 is just under 50% of all users (according to netapplication.com).

If you've had enoguh experience with IE6, you would certanly appreciate all the fixes it has made. Look at the explorer bugs on positioniseverything.net. All bugs you see there, except the escaping floats bug have been fixed in IE7. IE still has a lot of rendering bugs, but at least the all famous ones were fixed.If people were using conditional comments before, the troubles now would've been less.
As a newbie to Web design, I really have no experience with IE6, in that regard. My interest in Web design did not begin until after my purchase of an IE7 equipped PC. So, I suppose my comments about IE7 were more in regard to overall utility, of IE7 vs. IE6, including such as E-mail, where I have found some major faults with IE7. Actually, the IE7 browser seems to work fairly well, but my experience with MSN E-mail has been very bad. Moreover, the E-mail system appears to have caused OS troubles, which, in turn, appear to have migrated to other system functions. Altogether, I am experiencing a lot of unreliability, as troubles which I did not have with IE6. Another thing I have discovered is that, despite regular system maintenance on my part (back up, de-frag, and the anti-spyware and virus-scans, etc.), the troubles I have had, and am having, do not appear to have any remedy. Worse, after searching the Web for other opinions, it seems that I am not alone in having such irregular troubles. And, that is why I am about to say goodbye to Microsoft, and hello to Mac, just for Internet reliability. Of course, I will keep this Microsoft based PC, just for Web design purposes, because Microsoft indeed has the largest share of the user market, and I would be a fool to ignore that.:-)

... I'm not going to spend my time helping Microsoft make their bad products look good...
Every now and then I hear something which seems really worthwhile to remember, and my thanks to you.:-D