SQL <> MySQL

iyeru42

Well, for starters, SQL is a type of language (Structured Query Language) that is used to query databases whereas MySQL is a database management system that allows you to create databases. You would use SQL to run queries against MySQL databases.

Well, for starters, SQL is a type of language (Structured Query Language) that is used to query databases whereas MySQL is a database management system that allows you to create databases. You would use SQL to run queries against MySQL databases.
Well, I always thought MySQL was different than SQL because some of the stuff in MySQL can't be used in SQL (for queries.)

yes, it's true. Every software have some special alterations, that they will add some self-developed functions that they think those will make the queries run faster and smoother. So, in another words, their SQL are not that standard. But you need not worry. The basic stuff are all the same :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I don't have very much general SQL knowledge, but here's my understanding:MySQL is a database system. SQL is a language to query a database (Like MS SQL, MS Access, Oracle etc.). MySQL is a type of database similar to the other ones stated (MS SQL etc.). SQL is just many different commands to connect, query and then display the information in a database depending on what you do with it. So there isn't a way to compare which is better because they are two differnt things (Just a similar name). MySQL commands are very similar to SQL commands because MySQL databses/commands are based from SQL commands (I believe, but I may be wrong.). SQL can be used to query many different types of databases depending on what you have installed on your server/host, whereas, if you use the MySQL commands, they can only be used for a MySQL database.Hopefully that makes some sense. I can clarify if anyone wants. :)