form validation

timeyyy_da_man

The keyword with (not sure if it's classed as a function...) uses the syntax:

with(object){/*some script here*/]}

and is for changing the scope of the script enclosed in the curly braces. i.e: all objects referenced or created within the curly braces will be children of the object set as the parameter of with; with(object). e.g:

with(document){  write('hello bobafet.');}

would write the string "hello bobafet" to the page, whereas you could use:

document.write('hello bobafet');

The simple reason for the with() 'function' is to make it easier to perform many actions under one scope without having to reference it in various lines of code (or at least that's how I've come to understand it). Hope this helps.

NF2K has it right. I don't use "with" very often, but I can see the benefit of using it from time to time.Just to provide another example, rather than:

var div = document.getElementById("myDiv");div.style.backgroundColor = "#ff8c00";div.style.color = "#000000";div.style.width = "400px";div.style.height = "400px";div.style.borderColor = "#000000";div.style.borderWidth = "2px";div.style.borderStyle = "solid";

You can use "with" to make it like this:

var div = document.getElementById("myDiv");with(div.style){	backgroundColor = "#ff8c00";	color = "#000000";	width = "400px";	height = "400px";	borderColor = "#000000";	borderWidth = "2px";	borderStyle = "solid";}