Errata in XML Schema?

brettz9

Greetings!Here is some possible errata:In the section, "Using substitutionGroup" at URL http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_complex_subst.asp , it seems that example code should be there. The subsequent section, "What are Global Elements?" also seems to be lacking some context.I'd also like to make two recommendations:1) Allow the layout to expand (e.g., via percentage widths). For larger monitors, many of us would like to be able to view more on the page at once, and the current fixed-width layout constrains that.2) Add a Mozilla XUL tutorial (and the related scripting, etc. of it) and Server-Side Javascript tutorial (the latter has become more useful and accessible with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3002 ).And many thanks for making such a readable website and covering so many fundamental languages.best wishes,Brett

1) Agree. But keep the menu absolute or give it max-width.2) W3Schools teach mainly standartised languages. Server Side Scripting languages are exception as there is no standart to them. AppML is also an exclusion due to it's creators (W3Schools). Because of all that, I think XUL doesn't stand a change as it's not a standart XML based language. It's made by Mozilla and used exclusively on their applications. What's that "Server-Side Javascript"? I've never heared of it. Do you mean JScript in ASP(.NET)? If so, there's almost no point as there is a JavaScript tutorial and JScript is almost the same. And besides, you can always use VBScript which is what is tought in the ASP(.NET) tutorials.As for the schema "Errata". Have you read the XPath tutorial? It exaplains what a child/descendant/etc. means. If you know that, you should be able to understand evertything the Global Elements paragraph implies.There ARE examples for the substitutionGroup thing, aren't there? I do however wonder, wouldn't this XML also be valid with that sample schema:

<kunde>  <name>John Smith</name></kunde>

cause if it is, I don't really see how you can offer localised versions of a language the way they wanted to do initially.

W3Schools teach mainly standartised languages. Server Side Scripting languages are exception as there is no standart to them. AppML is also an exclusion due to it's creators (W3Schools). Because of all that, I think XUL doesn't stand a change as it's not a standart XML based language. It's made by Mozilla and used exclusively on their applications.
Maybe, but they are open source applications, and there is no open standard alternative for user interfaces out there (at least which isn't tied to a particular language). The site also also has a Flash tutorial which is not only not a standard, but is also proprietary (though admittedly, it has become a kind of standard, at least until SVG/SMIL/Ogg-Theora may take over).
What's that "Server-Side Javascript"? I've never heared of it. Do you mean JScript in ASP(.NET)? If so, there's almost no point as there is a JavaScript tutorial and JScript is almost the same. And besides, you can always use VBScript which is what is tought in the ASP(.NET) tutorials.
Do a web search (also lookup Firefox and "POW" to see an additional interesting use of it since it seems not many servers support SSJS). It's different from JScript. Yeah, not many people have heard of it. And I steer away from proprietary languages.
As for the schema "Errata". Have you read the XPath tutorial? It exaplains what a child/descendant/etc. means. If you know that, you should be able to understand evertything the Global Elements paragraph implies.
I understood what it meant, but I didn't know why it was placed there, as its own independent section. It seems like that kind of subsection would be at the beginning of a section. I see that the preceding paragraph made reference to it, but it just seems a little out of place.As far as substitutionGroup, yes, my apologies, I really don't know what I was thinking. Yes, the examples are there above the section. I guess I am just accustomed to each section having its own examples right within the section. And, yes, while I think you are right that the code you specified could be possible and probably undesirable, I think they were just demonstrating the feature of blocking element substitution (if for whatever reason you didn't want or need some element names localized, or if, more likely, they were simply trying to make the example as brief as possible).best wishes,Brett

The Schema thing sounds at it's place if you ask me. Personal opinion with no additional arguments though.According to wikipedia, SSJS seems to only be reffering to JavaScript (in the form we know it or pretty much similar) running on the server, and there are also some SSJS implementations listed. But each is different I suppose, so covering all of them would be impossible, tedious and possibly useless in the end.Right, Flash. I always forget it, as I've never really used it. Anyhow, Flash is not an XML based language, yet it's still used a lot in web pages, so it's different then XUL. XUL is not used in web pages nor in web applications (S3Ls), so it's place is not here I believe.