LINK (and BASE)

fedoracore

hello there.i've been trying to figure out how to use the html LINK element for creating document relationships, but from what's listed at the w3C's rec, i don't quite get it... sure, they've got a few examples-- but i couldn't find anything where i can go back and reference my own trial and error and say "oh, okay-- theirs looks like this, and mine looks like this... and..."because, they don't appear to have any real examples there. or-- am i just missing it?to put it another way, take for example, php.netthe documentation uses the "Prev" and "Next" LINK elements to navigate about the documentation. it's my interpretation that it is the same thing which is used in the w3c example, essentially-- however, it just doesn't make sense to me as to "How do we get the link to appear in the page for 'clicking'?"thanks!(EDIT: it didn't post the first time??)

Here is something like a guide from W3C: http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/use-links. There is also a tutorial on W3Schools: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_link.asp You can check out the W3C website (http://www.w3.org/) and look at their source.In order to make something like "previous" or "next" visible for clicking, you have to add it within the body element.

I don't know how to use LINKS properly, but you can check out the W3C website (http://www.w3.org/) and look at their source.
He has obviously done that, he says so in the post.I am not sure how to do what you are asking. I have only ever used link for stylesheets.Just from browsing the link you provided it seems to me that the example of Prev and Next is only for semantics and search engines and is not expected to produce the clickable link.

Links like this in the head: <LINK rel="Index" href="../index.html"> <LINK rel="Next" href="Chapter3.html"> <LINK rel="Prev" href="Chapter1.html">Do not show up on the page. They are for the browser. Some browsers (like Opera) have buttons that will become active when the browser finds these links on the page, and you can click those buttons to go to the index, or next, or previous, or whatever the link is. But they are just for the browser, they don't show up on the page.

Do not show up on the page. They are for the browser. Some browsers (like Opera) have buttons that will become active when the browser finds these links on the page, and you can click those buttons to go to the index, or next, or previous, or whatever the link is.
or the "navigatin menu" in seamonkey right? hmm-- i'm probably confusing that w/ something else. to me, it's not stated quite clearly the purpose at the w3c (so, i guess what they what us to learn at the w3c is ... "this is only for a User Agent or a Robot, and will have no affect on the page functionality..", yet that isn't quite the clear message which comes across to me.)it's additionally confusing for me because of the BASE element seems to be related-- if nothing else-- in terms of location in the Rec. hehe., and it DOES indeed noticeably affect the page navigation.one more "For instance"...have you ever used the PHP.Net "enhanced CHM manual" thing? at the bottom of the pages, if you're not "on-line" the "next" and "prev" buttons are just ??? marks, right? (i'm pulling this from memory, so... could be wrong here easily...)so, wouldn't that indicate that the actual anchors, or -- what we can click on WITHIN the visible page is dynamically generated in some way relevant to LINK ??? (the CHM is probably another situation similar to the Opera nav thng perhaps?... )"... things that make ya go hmmm..." hehethanks for your replies. i guess i'll just throw this one to the robots then....:)

"this is only for a User Agent or a Robot, and will have no affect on the page functionality.."
User agent = web browser (any software that a user can use to communicate with a web server). But it says it right there - no affect on the page functionality. In a CHM file, which I think is a compiled HTML help manual, the CHM package might look at the link elements and enable some interface buttons the same way a web browser would, but they don't show up anywhere on a page. They are there so that if someone clicks the "Glossary" button on the browser, the browser will look at the page and find the "glossary" link and load that page. It's just a convenience for the user, and some search engine robots might also use them when they are looking for links to index. Obviously a page labelled with the "next" link would relate to the current page.