apache installation

astralaaron

I am extracting the apache files right now.. on their website they say this:It is essential that you verify the integrity of the downloaded files using the PGP or MD5 signatureswhat do they mean by that? also where can I get mySQL to install and is it free?

I found it easier to install a package that had php apache and mysql together. theres loads to choose from on php.net.

I am extracting the apache files right now.. on their website they say this:It is essential that you verify the integrity of the downloaded files using the PGP or MD5 signatureswhat do they mean by that? also where can I get mySQL to install and is it free?
Also, the MD5 checksum file is to verify that the exact size of what you downloaded and the exact size of the actual file is the same.On Windows, you need a program to do it for you. Generally it's not really necessary. If the archive extracts fine, then chances are that it's okay.

MD5 checks more then size, it also assures the contents of the file. Two files that are the exact same size but with different contents will have different MD5 signatures. MD5 is used to ensure that the file you downloaded is the same file that was published, without being modified.