vbscript confusion

sorex

Hello,I'm quite experienced with asp and have been asked if I'm not interested to do some windows vbscripting.Having a look at the vbscript part at w3schools it's only talk about vbscript running client side in the browser. Wasn't it possible to create a .vbs file that runs in a Windows shell aswell with a lot more options?If so, where can I find some examples of it and can those vbs source files be compiled to EXE's aswell to prevent people messing around in the code?

Hello,I'm quite experienced with asp and have been asked if I'm not interested to do some windows vbscripting.Having a look at the vbscript part at w3schools it's only talk about vbscript running client side in the browser. Wasn't it possible to create a .vbs file that runs in a Windows shell aswell with a lot more options?If so, where can I find some examples of it and can those vbs source files be compiled to EXE's aswell to prevent people messing around in the code?

Yes, you can create VBSs and your ASP knowledge will stand you in good stead. Use devguru.com as a reference. cwashington.netreach.net has some fabulous scripts, too.I think there is a utility that will convert scripts to EXEs but why not use a has of some kind? My scripts are protected by calls to a component which produces a hash from (among other things) the script's size, creation date and name. Each script has its own hash recorded in a Const. It checks its own hash via the component so, if anyone has messed with it, the hashes don't match and the script bails. It's not 100% bullet-proof, but it'll stop the idiot users who want to use the system-level calls (which some of our scripts use) for their own evil purpose. You know the sort of thing, I'm sure - making themselves members of local admin group, etc...

• 2 weeks later...