PayPal - can I trust it?

Anders Moen

Hello!Yesterday I got contacted from USA, by this guy. And he asked if I could make a website, and I said yes and then we agreed we could use PayPal for the paymentm, is PayPal something I can trust? I'm thinking about the part where you give out my credit-card number and sensitive info ...

You can use PayPal, its very reliable for most transactions. Google also offers a similar service:http://checkout.google.comOf course, the main limitation to both services is that the buy MUST have a paypal or google account (respectively).For the occasional purchase, some folks might not want to create a paypal or google account - that is why many folks have their own online merchant accounts. Naturally, that conversation would have already taken place if the decision to go with PayPal has already been made.In any case, its safe and reliable but successfully implementing the PayPal API is worth more than $100 - in my opinion.edit: I guess I should note, that with PayPal you can fully integrate the check out process or you can just dump them into the PayPal site with a trailing post back address. Either way, I'd still charge more than $100.P.S. If you use paypal, please put a disclaimer on all your orders that a user should NEVER click a link from ANY paypal email, even if they think its from paypal. Their popularity (like IE) has made them one of the most commonly spoofed emails and I've seen some really good work - almost fooled me once. Always instruct users to manually type paypal.com when they want to investigate something that an email might be reporting.

I'd suggest doing what I did four+ years ago - get a credit card just for internet use - and nothing else - be sure you have online protection and your set - use it for nothing else and nothing else for online transactions.p.s. ask fro a low credit limit too, $2k to $5k that way you are not worried about a really rediculous situation ever happening - especially if you are doing more selling than buying.

Thanks. It seems safe then.Now I just gotta convince my dad that it's safe and stuff so he says yes for me to use it, hehe.
Real experience: There was a software that I tried and its help was disabled until you buy it. I bought it and paid using paypal. As soon as I installed it and looked for Help, I found it in another language (other than english). I asked the author to refund my money and I don't want his software. The author refused to refund and told me to have as much help from him as much possible (very kind he was). I tried to use paypal's "dispute resolution" and they refused by saying that it is a matter of software. Although you may never have seen a software in more than one language, paypal was useless.So, in case money is coming to you, paypal is good, the flow of money in other way is your risk (in my experience).

I'm only gonna use it so he can pay me for my little work on his design on his website.And I just wanted to be sure if PayPal is something to trust, since we agreed to use that and I've never used it before...

Well, it would probably be advisable in the future to not agree to things that you don't already trust. But Paypal has been around for many years and they do a lot of business with a lot of people, there are some people who aren't happy, like with anything else, but they aren't going to just take your money and not give it to you if that's what you're asking.

Would any of you have gone to the Post Office for a refund if you had used that method of sending money? That's all PayPal is, an online postoffice for money transactions.Its important to understand a few things - PayPal is nothing more than an online bank - not an online merchant. So, if person A buys something from person B and the transaction checks out, then the bank (paypal) will never have anything to do with any dispute between the two parties unless there was a financial issue - i.e. charged to much or charged to little. If a vendor fails to report the help feature is in french and you expected it in english - its not paypals fault - its yours for not full researching the product you bought - thats like blaming the weather man for the rain. Since PayPal is a bank, its not goingt o offer you protection like a credit card will - unless you subscribe to those services. You can't expect PayPal, or anyone else, to be your savior - you are on your own in this world.andersmoen, if ALL you are doing is conducting a transaction between yourself and a client (and in the future maybe more clients) then PayPal will work just fine without any problems. Its not PayPal that is the crook - unless you don't like th chunk of change they take from every transaction, its the users. If you are conducting business with people you "know" or have an ongoing business relationship, then any issue you have will have nothing to do with PayPal.NotJustBrowsing, I do not mean to pick on you, but I've heard that story a thousand times, and it is misplaced blame. You did business with a stranger, online, and you got burned - I've been there and it hurts, but it wasn't PayPals fault the guy never sent me the replacement hood for my 924.

Would any of you have gone to the Post Office for a refund if you had used that method of sending money? That's all PayPal is, an online postoffice for money transactions.andersmoen, if ALL you are doing is conducting a transaction between yourself and a client (and in the future maybe more clients) then PayPal will work just fine without any problems.
That sounds just like what I will use it for :)

...NotJustBrowsing, I do not mean to pick on you, but I've heard that story a thousand times, and it is misplaced blame. You did business with a stranger, online, and you got burned - I've been there and it hurts, but it wasn't PayPals fault the guy never sent me the replacement hood for my 924.
I did blame myself for not investigating the vendor properly because I never come across such situation before. Obviously in my case paypal is a facilitator with the vendor in dodging customers. After my dispute submition paypal knows what is wrong in the product, they should stop co-operating with that client.What I am saying is that Paypal's "dispute resolution" is a fake and gives wrong expression that Paypal helps in dispute resolution.It is these kind of things that demage internet sales growth and industry as a whole.

I did blame myself for not investigating the vendor properly because I never come across such situation before. Obviously in my case paypal is a facilitator with the vendor in dodging customers. After my dispute submition paypal knows what is wrong in the product, they should stop co-operating with that client.What I am saying is that Paypal's "dispute resolution" is a fake and gives wrong expression that Paypal helps in dispute resolution.It is these kind of things that demage internet sales growth and industry as a whole.
I can understand and be sympathetic to your experience. I, however, had a good experience with the PayPal Resolution Center in my efforts to receive reimbursement for a product I never received. I'm not sure I would go as far as calling it fake, but it does not make it as easy as calling someone on the phone and asking for refund or store credit. Their system is built around facilitating the consumer to resolve the issue - the effort to create a dialog between the two parties involved by way of a automated messaging system. Admittedly, if that doesn't solve the problem, then you do have an up hill battle. But again, the post office is not going to stop mailing things for people just because the sender and receiver are not able to agree upon things - they are just providing a service. I do agree with you though, in a perfect world, paypal and the post office would choose not to do business with those individuals. But they can't afford to do that, cuz if it was a one time thing (not to say yours was) then they could be missing out on a lot of business.In any respect, I think this will work for andersmoen and I think your insight introduces situations to be weary of and should open any ones eyes to some of the challenges to doing business online.

Whoa! Thanks for all this writing, hehe.But now he has sent money but he wrote my email wrong, but is it possible to take back that money? (I'll just tell him when he gets on MSN, or I'll send him an email later).But is that possible?

If he logged into paypal and clicked "send money" and he typed in the incorrect address - that either is typo or your fault for not giving him the right address. In this case, it is possible to retract the transaction if the recipient has not accepted the money yet.In the future, instruct him to NEVER send money to anyone that way. ONLY send money from a PayPal invoice. This simply requires that YOU log in and use the "request payment" feature. That way if you type in the wrong address the recipient will simply not send you money (unless you happen to stumble across a fool). If you get it right, then the correct recipient will not have to worry about sending it to the right person as that is built into the reply process.

Ah, okay.Because he wrote "moan" instead of "moen" in my mail, but I can create a new one with moan and make an account with that unless it's already taken.But one more thing...I don't know his username (email) at PayPal, forgot to ask him, so I couldn't request the money.

well, you can either ask him or wait fro him to send you the money to the rigth account - then you'll have it.:)

100% you can trust paypalits a company thats been out for the longest time.so yea, you should use paypal.good luck :]
Not to mention that they recently acquired Verisign. PayPal is one of the leaders in online financial transactions.https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=x...isition-outside

I have no personal experience with PayPal, but I have heard two things;1) At least in the U.S.A., once a person has signed up with PayPal, PayPal then somehow gains a lot of legal control over one's bank accounts, which, perhaps in a worst case, could possibly have one's assets "frozen", until PayPal determines otherwise.2) Once a person has signed up with PayPal, it may then not be possible to sign out of PayPal, or, in other words, once in, in for good.Anyway, such are the rumors I have heard.

Okay, thanks for that! Those comments might help me convince my father :)But anyways, the money that I now have accepted is on my PayPal account, but if I just log in some times and just be active sometimes, they won't disappear from my account? (Just in case it takes some time before I have convinced my father, hehe)