Computer Desk

vchris

I'm looking for a nice computer desk which includes drawyers to put some stuff, wire holder (a place the wires can run without me seeing them or laying on the ground), something of quality, preferably aluminum, no glass. I've been looking everywhere but all I can find are crap desks. The best one I could find was the one from Lian Li, the F1 desk but that is 2500$ US. Just a bit over-budget. Let me know of a good place to find something like that.

The best one I could find was the one from Lian Li, the F1 desk but that is 2500$ US.
Ah, you already found it, I was going to mention that. That is an awesome desk, but yeah it's a little much. Go to froogle.com and search for computer desks.

A friend gave me this:benefits_liv.jpgre: http://www.id-furniture.com/livingdimensio...roduct_id=10012I built it in my basement and its sturdy and very nice. Plus, their support is great. I was missing pieces in the box that my friend lost (before giving it to me) and I used its online form and replacement parts came no questions asked - free of charge. Not sure the cost of the desk itself though . . .

That's a nice desk! I'm trying to find out how much it is...EDIT: Just found out... 2500$... Actually I've seen from 1000$ - 2500$. Actually I got it for 460$.

Hey skemcin is it possible to remove parts of the desk? Like the top monitor support, I'd want the monitor to be sitting on the desk. Could I remove those side thingys on the desk? They're kinda useless. Would that leave holes?

Yes, you do not have to assemble the top monitor shelf and even keep the side draws at teh same time. What I recommend is one you get (if you get it) is to go on line and order extra screws and such - just to add to your tool box. I also ordered another shelf for the right side cabinet - got the hardware too, all for free just by using their online form. Pretty sweet. I chose, as I always do, to not install the keyboard tray as it always hits my knees (I'm 6'3'').My friend originally bought it on ebay. And, as I mentioned, a couple of pieces were missing but were replaced just by ordering them online (again free). I'm more than happy, and its not cheap construction, its heavy and sturdy material.Good luckre:http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=ID+L+W...ving+dimensions

So I can have a flat desk surface without holes?Is there a special area for wires? It looks to me like they'll be hidden behind the center leg pillar.

I can't remember off the top of my head where the cable wholes are, bu tI know I installed I think three of those cable hole covers - but I think they are on the back site of the cabinet sections.

That's good but if I remove all shelf on the desk does it leave any holes? Could I put some covers on them?

No, you cannot. You are not allowed to cover up holes. If you do cover up holes, the Desk Hole Police are going to show up at your house and beat you with an accordion. And let me just say, you do not want an accordion beating.

ok, the monitor shelf sits on top of the two side shelves/drawers on the top of the main desk surface. The monitor section rests on top of that and is held in by two cam bolts. If you chose to skip this step, then the left and right side shelves would have those two small cam bolts holes - each. Additionally, there is a rear center support - again two cam bolt holes would be on the far back center part of the main desk surface. Now, in the picture, where you would expect to put the monitor, there is a cable hole/cover center directly below the monitor on the main desk surface - for your keyboard, mouse, etc but no holes in the monitor shelf. On the back sides centered at the top, there are also cable holes/covers - not visible at all from sitting at the desk.Personally, I like the monitor shelf and I find it useful for the router and modem on either side of the monitor, along with a picture of my kids, dogs, and wife when I have one of those awwwhhh moments. :)

Thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to know. I don't have kids, I don't have a dog and no wife. I'm gonna have to figure out what to put there, maybe a picture of myself :)

the second desk is for conducting meetings with people in the same office space. I can huddle three or four folks around it and all I have to do is turn around. I can lay project plans or site mockups out on the desk without anyone being in my personal space. Its actually a very nice set up. I can even run a second monitor over to the desk to let people sit there to look at things instead of standing over my shoulder - again keeping them out of my personal space - they have no need to see what else is on my desk (esp. other projects)