background color, or "highlighting"

Guest tenor1

Guest tenor1

I want to place background color behind certain words and phrases in the text of my website homepage. I want to make the text appear like I used a highlighter pen in either red or yellow to make words and phrases stand out on the page.I have gone through the HTML and XHTML tutorials. I cannot find any instructions on how to "highlight" lines of text, or sections of lines of text.Help will be greatly appreciated.

You'll need to use CSS. Here is an example:HTML:This <span class="yellowbg">word</span> is highlighted.CSS:.yellowbg { background-color: yellow; }

Or, if you only need one section of words highlited, use this:<p style="background-color: yellow">Hilighted Text</p>

Fermat,That works if you use paragraphs for all the blocks of text on your page, but paragraphs aren't always the semantically correct tag to use. I would recommend the method vchris suggests. Spans are a generic inline container, which can also be a portion of a paragraph,and you avoid the necessity of dealing with the margins and paddings, etc of a paragraph. Furthermore, using a class will typically use less bandwidth for multiple occurrences of the "highlighted text" on a page.