Do you think i got ripped off?

ben3001

This is kind of in rely to the following thread http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=11255I am guessing I kind of got ripped off for the sites I did then...This was my first site I did for "work experience" but it was for quite an important person. It was for a University Lecturer at Kings College, London, UK. All content was provided.http://www.aquatic-management.org/Paid: £50 + Expenses £20 = £70 ($138.80)This next site is for an established CCTV business. The sites on a temporary URL hence the add I have to put at the bottom of the page.http://www.dview.co.nr/Paid: £250 ($495.70)I suppose if you look at it as a learning curve then i cant really charge for that, however im sure other companies would have paid more....What you think?

Well, it really depends... on the complexety of the site, as well as how experienced you were then. Not to mention how much this is worth in comparison to similar services and how much this is worth in general.I mean, 200 euros spent in England are different then the same 200 euros spent in... Bulgaria for example. With 200 euros in Bulgaria, you can pay electricity (~40-80 euros/month), rent (~60-100 euros/month), water (~5-20 euros/month) and still have enough to buy food for about a month and perhaps even more. I believe that's not enough in England.As I can see, the sites don't seem very complicated, and if you were still very new to all of this, then I guess they payed good money. Of course, now that you're better, you might feel like you could've asked for more, but remember that it was different back then. It always is.

Ben have a look at www.gumtree.com there are lots of ads on there for small website companies and they seem to offer between £100 - £200 for sites. So I think you did ok for the cctv company but that lecturer did alright out of you.

ok sorry about that ben3001 i got confused. ive re-read the topic abovein answer to your question did you get ripped off? its up to you to put a value on your work. i would only consider it being 'ripped off' if they didn't pay you the amount you invoiced them for.

It also depends on where the contract came from. If you get contracts from sites like Scriptlance.com you should expect that the pay will be lower. I get a lot of work from SitePoint and usually the pay is pretty good. Developing the skill to know which contracts to accept and which to turn down is a huge asset and will save you alot of time and money.Like it has been said before, experience is a big factor. You can't expect to get paid what a 20 year progtrammer would get if you have only been programming for 1 year. So as your experience increases you will be able to increase your rate but that doesn't mean you gooted ripped off for past projects.

If neither you nor your client had any issue with receiving or delivering the check then no one got ripped off. What you are doing is something EVERYONE needs to constantly to - self assess. The only way you will continue to grow in this industry is if you perform routine self-assessments. This should NOT be done only after every job you do. It should be done before each job you submit a bid for, after each job you launch, and during the development of a site - especially approaching the launch date.I'm not talking about some 50 question online (or offline) self assessment test. For the most part, I'm just talking about the process by which you keep a constant feel fro your skills and abilities and compare them to what is out there. One, easy, way to do this is to simply keep your resume updated. Think about when I mentioned you should do a self-assessment and then think about whether or not it makes sense to update your resume at those same moments - it does. The more distinct skills and abilities you add to your resume that are specific to web development, then the more you can charge. Soon your skills will be over shadowed by your tacit knowledge, and thats when your rates will double - thats what sets you apart from anyone else. But, you either are motivated that way or you are not. Meaning, you are either interested in the bigger picture, or you are interested more in the nit-n-gritty.So, could you have charged more and got away with it - maybe. But you will only know on the next job you bill for. But remember, only 30% of your time should be spent on new business. Focus on the customers you have and you will find out if they are willing to pay more for new services or approaches to solutions.