Abusing "Table" Element For Layout

Guest hypocrite

Guest hypocrite

Why does the W3Schools tutorial website abuse the table element to create a layout grid?I suspect the answer is lack of volunteer labor.Regardless, it is hypocritical to produce "recommendations" as a standards organization without implementing them on your organizations site. This failure is particularly exaggerated on the tutorial website where the W3C is supposedly teaching proper techniques.Your websites act as role models. Please take the time to behave in alignment with your vision as an organisation.

I feel bad for this being my first post... but this is a good point. I wrote an article a while ago about *major web sites not validating*. One person who responded mentioned that W3Schools.com and various areas of W3C web sites don't even validate. He was right, too. How horrible is that? I blasted Macromedia.com, maker of the all-hailed web development application Dreamweaver, for not being valid. But W3C can't even keep it up? It's no wonder that FIrefox and other minor browsers are trying to make their own codes, now.

I'd like to remind you, mr. Hypocrite, to talk a bit nicer.W3Schools is in NO WAY affiliated with W3C. Yes,

W3Schools is in NO WAY affiliated with W3C.
As for your complaint about abusing tables, is there such a thing? I'll let a more knowledgable moderator or member take over from here.~Chocolate570

I feel bad for this being my first post... but this is a good point. I wrote an article a while ago about *major web sites not validating*. One person who responded mentioned that W3Schools.com and various areas of W3C web sites don't even validate. He was right, too. How horrible is that? I blasted Macromedia.com, maker of the all-hailed web development application Dreamweaver, for not being valid. But W3C can't even keep it up? It's no wonder that FIrefox and other minor browsers are trying to make their own codes, now.

Well... I am happy to say, that this is just not true. We do validate our pages. That is the first thing I do after writing a tutorial is to validate the pages. (Test us in W3C's XHTML validator) ... And if we forget to validate, our faithfull fans let us know with an e-mail :)As for frames, we have talked alot about re-designing the site. But the bottom line is that the current layout works great for us at this time, and we want to focus on writing more tutorials.And also... W3Schools.com is NOT the same as W3C...

Tables are a perfectly standards compliant way of creating layouts.True usinf div and CSS makes less code and is easier to read but is a pain to make consistent with all browsers. There are so many quirks and bugs with floating divs and stretching 100% of viewport.Tables validate just fine under any version of HTML and XHTML and are much easier to acheive the layout you want with more consistency.Whether you use tables or not is a personal preference and makes no difference in the way the webpage renders.I am not sure if you have nothing better to do than to try and stir up trouble and insult someone who has volunteered his time and knowledge, and MONEY to create great tutorials and help people learn technologies...but maybe you need to find a hobby or something. Grow Up!!!

Since kaijim has said all that needs to be said - I'll close this troll. I don't suspect hypocrit planned on making his/her presents felt again.