Pop-up messages

CSmith1128

Hello.. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for making pop-ip messages..I am not looking for the standard pop-up messages with the "OK" button..Here is what I am looking for...I am going to have a bunch of pictures on a page.When a visitor runs their mouse over the image, I want a little box to display right next to the picture that has a description of the image. Kind of like a "tool tip". But I want the box to appear as soon as they hover their mouse over it and then disappear when they move the mouse away from it, unlike "tool tips" where you have to hover over the image for a couple seconds before the "tip" appears.I don't know of I explained this well enough.If I did, couple someone direct me towards a tutorial or example of how to do it?Thanks,Chris

Heres a tutorial that I learnt from which shows you how to do this kind of stuff:http://alistapart.com/articles/sprites(One thing worth mentioning about the above link is that the spritesheet tiles in it are layed out in the css using px, which firefox and opera don't recognize. If you want to make it cross browser compatible you need to use percentages instead.) To trigger hover events with Javascript check out the 'Events' section in the w3 javascript tutorials to find out how to set off events if the mouse moves into the area or out of it. Still I would recommend using a spritesheet like the above link shows as you don't get the latency when switching between images.

Archived