Sort A Treeview

Yahweh

Basically, I'm storing a directory tree in an XML file and displaying it in a treeview.The XML file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><folder name="root">  <folder name="level1">	<folder name="level1.1">		<file name="kitties.aspx" />		<file name="bunnies.aspx" />	</folder>	<file name="firstpage.aspx" />	<file name="secondpage.aspx" />	<file name="anotherpage.aspx" />  </folder>  <folder name="level2">	<file name="somepage.aspx" />	<file name="default.aspx" />  </folder>  <file name="default.aspx" />  <folder name="level3" /></folder>

I can load the XML file into a treeview, but unfortunately, it doesn't display right. It sorts nodes in the order that I add them to the file, when I'd like to have them sorted alphabetically.Is there a convenient to way to sort my treeview?

Yes, actually I did. I found that article too, and I was sorely disappointed when my code didn't compile, it returned a the error
'Sort' is not a member of 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TreeView'.
I'm creating a website, not a desktop application. The sort method applies to System.Windows.Forms.Treeview, but not to System.Web.UI.WebControls.Treeview. See for yourself.I think maybe a programmer at Microsoft was lazy and forgot to add that little function to the TreeView web control.

This requires a bit more overhead, but can you load the XML file into a DataTable, sort the records with a DataView, and then use that DataView as the data source that you bind to the TreeView?

Archived