computer RAM question

music_lp90

Hi all, I know this forum is mostly for Internet programming, but I figured figured someone on here might know the answer to this question and it is somewhat Internet related.I just ordered the new Adobe CS3 Web Premium suite which says 1GB of RAM is required. I am considering upgrading my RAM, but my Dell 4400 only supports up to 1GB of RAM, I would like to add 1 or 2 GB's. Is it possible to do something to increase the amount of supported RAM?Thanks for any help.

Hi all, I know this forum is mostly for Internet programming, but I figured figured someone on here might know the answer to this question and it is somewhat Internet related.I just ordered the new Adobe CS3 Web Premium suite which says 1GB of RAM is required. I am considering upgrading my RAM, but my Dell 4400 only supports up to 1GB of RAM, I would like to add 1 or 2 GB's. Is it possible to do something to increase the amount of supported RAM?Thanks for any help.
A new motherboard. But that may cause you to buy a new CPU, as the sockets might be different. If this Dell model has an AGP video card, and your new motherboard has only PCI-E (all new motherboards don't have AGP), you might also need to buy a new Video Card (unless there's an on board one). Choosing a motherboard with a different chipset would also call for a reinstallation of Windows. If you choose a powerful new video card (say... GF 7600 and above), you'd also need a good power supply (more then 300W) unless you already have one. If your new motherboard has only one IDE channel and your current HDD is on IDE, you might want to buy a new HDD as well that will be on SATA so that your CD/DVD-R(W?) doesn't make the HDD slower by running on one channel with it.In short: you pretty much need a new computer.

Thanks, I sort of thought that might be the answer. Guess I'll start saving my money, haha. It's about time for a new computer anyway. I was hoping it might be as easy as a software update, but I guess I was dreaming.

hmmm i didnt think them thinks were possible...im sure it would do something to your computer that you wouldnt want. I mean a 1 gb ram was not designed to be 2gb was it??
Don't be so sure without any reason. I used this kind of program at the time to double 2MB to 4MB but I am not sure if one of these programs evolved to double 1GB.http://www.macreviewzone.com/archive/hardc...views/RD9.shtmlhttp://www.tokyopc.org/newsletter/1995/11/ramdrev.html

RAM doubling programs were useful in the days of DOS to provide a software fallback to the physical memory, similar to virtual memory, but he's not trying to run Adobe Photoshop CS3 in a DOS environment. Now Windows handles all of the virtual memory for the system, you don't need another software application to try and emulate memory. Whatever the case, the performance with a software memory emulator is much worse compared to additional physical memory because the software still needs to use the hard disk to store everything. Photoshop will not run on a system where most of the memory is virtual memory, it needs physical high-speed memory, and a lot of it. That's just the way it is. Photoshop already uses a scratch disk for swapping information out to disk, it doesn't need a third-party program to do that, what it needs is more physical memory.

I am talking about those programs which sit in between operating system and physical memory and compress in the way towards physical memory and uncompress data moving towards operating system.First link that I quoted earlier also described

Compression - If reallocation is not sufficient, RAM Doubler looks for used memory blocks that the computer is not likely to access. These blocks are then compressed to save space. This process causes a slight performance hit but is still better than involving the hard drive. On machines with less than 32MB of installed RAM, the time to compress causes a more significant performance hit, hence the 32MB minimum requirement.
Performance issue in the days of 80386, 16MHz is not an issue now a days but directly accessing memory address bypassing security features of operating system may be.You are right, obviously nothing can be done except to add another GB of RAM if Adobe CS3 Web Premium ask for 1GB chunk of RAM at starting time. music_lp90 why didn't you looked at the requirements of software before ordering? It is like you ordered a sofa that is not going to fit in your house and now either you extend your room to fit it in or may be buying a suitable house to accomodate it.

music_lp90 why didn't you looked at the requirements of software before ordering? It is like you ordered a sofa that is not going to fit in your house and now either you extend your room to fit it in or may be buying a suitable house to accomodate it.
I did look at the requirements before I bought it. I can upgrade my RAM up to the 1GB that is required, but I would have liked to have upgraded it even more if that was possible, that's all. I'm a college student, so I get a nice discount on the software and I'm taking advantage of that discount as I will be graduating next semester.

Yeah, like Boen said, in order to support more physical memory you will need to upgrade the motherboard, which is what the memory plugs into. If you got a newer motherboard that supports more, then you would also want to buy the othern modern components for it as well, like faster RAM, a newer CPU, etc, right down to a power supply with P4 and SATA connectors. About the only things I leave in my computer when I upgrade are the optical drives and usually the hard drives. I haven't had a floppy drive since I can remember, and I have the same DVD-ROM that shipped with a computer I bought in 1998. The cases usually last for two or three cycles, I usually end up getting a new case every 5 years or so, if I upgrade maybe every 2 or 3 years. About the only thing I upgrade alone would be a video card. I only buy a new hard drive if I run out of space.

Archived