Questionnaire

swelteringcelt

Hi everyone!I'm new here, but expect to come back soon enough with real insight and input. In the meantime, I'm working on a tech report (whoever said going back to college would be easy needs to be shot on sight) and could use your help.I've developed a questionnaire for web designers/developers and would love your input. It will be used for a feasibility report that will analyze and recommend a core set of web languages for training and hiring employees of, say, a small webdesign company. I am willing to forward to anyone the completed report if requested and am also willing to provide copies of other assignments that have been part of this report. After all, I look at unsolicited surveys like this with quite a bit of skepticism and usually want some background.If you frequent other webdesign forums, please excuse the likelihood of verbatim cross posting, as I am desperately in need of responses (I need quantifiable results within two weeks, yikes!) and don't much have the time to rewrite an introduction six times.If you have additional input beyond what I'm asking in the survey, please feel free to give your opinions. Thanks in advance for your time and help.~Ang1.What web languages do you currently code in?2.Do you prefer any web languages to others? If so, what? Why?3.Please rate the learning curve of the following web languages; leave blank if you have not used the language. If you are currently learning the language, please note how long you expect it to take you to learn the language. If there are languages that have been omitted and you have input regarding the learning curve, please add it at the end of the question.1.HTML(a)less than 1 week(B)1 to 2 weeks©2 to 4 weeks(d)more than 4 weeks2.PHP(a)less than 1 week(B)1 to 2 weeks©2 to 4 weeks(d)more than 4 weeks3.CSS(a)less than 1 week(B)1 to 2 weeks©2 to 4 weeks(d)more than 4 weeks4.JavaScript(a)less than 1 week(B)1 to 2 weeks©2 to 4 weeks(d)more than 4 weeks5.Java(a)less than 1 week(B)1 to 2 weeks©2 to 4 weeks(d)more than 4 weeks6.ASP(a)less than 1 week(B)1 to 2 weeks©2 to 4 weeks(d)more than 4 weeks7.XML(a)less than 1 week(B)1 to 2 weeks©2 to 4 weeks(d)more than 4 weeks8.Flash(a)less than 1 week(B)1 to 2 weeks©2 to 4 weeks(d)more than 4 weeks4.Do you feel that Internet Explorer hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.5.Do you feel that Firefox hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.6.Do you feel that any other browser hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.7.How often do you adhere strictly to W3C standards?(a)All the time(b)most of the time©about half the time(d)occasionally(e)rarely8.Is there one web language you use more than others? Which one, and why?9.How long have you been doing web design or development?10.Do you have any certifications? If so, which ones?Again, thank you for taking the time to look at and hopefully answer this survey. It will be highly useful for my tech report.

I would split up the first question to ask about server side scripting languages and client side scripting languages.I'd add ColdFusion into your third question.Your learning curve question is going to give you mixed results since "learning curve" is very vague. Almost everyone here would say they have learned HTML - but give them a graphic design and ask them to code it will like be a challenge to many folks. So, adding some level of skill, like "expert level. Although, that too will have its own issues - it still will give a little more accuracy.Seems alright otherwise.

Realistically, I agree with most of your suggestions; however, it is a very basic survey that I actually have to use as is because it was approved by my professor after its writing.I expect to have to work around some of the issues (no jokes here about it being written like IE6 with a ton of rendering bugs) behind responses, but overall this will give me what I need to work with for the report.With that in mind, I'll take what answers I can get. This isn't really a report that's going anywhere but a barely computer literate professor who has better things to do than second guess every suggestion I make. I am, however, going to give her my best effort and that includes doing some primary research. Who better to ask about web languages (overall) than the people who know best how they work and how easy they are to work with? I'm particularly lucky that I chose a topic for this report that has something to do with what I love to do on the side; many in my class are completely lost in the water, whereas I could at least go into a folder in my bookmarks and start pulling data from that... and use my own experience to boot.~Ang

1.What web languages do you currently code in?XHTML,CSS,JavaScript,ASP.Net,ASP,PHP,XML2.Do you prefer any web languages to others? If so, what? Why?ASP.Net, OOP and seperation of html from business logic also it can be compiled for easy portability and fast load times.3.Please rate the learning curve of the following web languages; leave blank if you have not used the language. If you are currently learning the language, please note how long you expect it to take you to learn the language. If there are languages that have been omitted and you have input regarding the learning curve, please add it at the end of the question.All - 4 or more weeks - you cannot learn and use any of these languages tot heir full potenial in 4 weeks, some not even in a year.4.Do you feel that Internet Explorer hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.It hinders design because it is inconsistant with current web standards and requires extra coding and hacks to make it function as it should.5.Do you feel that Firefox hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.No, it is very good at meeting standards.6.Do you feel that any other browser hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.no7.How often do you adhere strictly to W3C standards?a8.Is there one web language you use more than others? Which one, and why?ASP.Net, it is my favorite it is also the language of choice at my work place.9.How long have you been doing web design or development?7 years (4 years professionally).10.Do you have any certifications? If so, which ones?I have a college degree in Web Development from NSCC (nscc.ca)

1. What web languages do you currently code in?XHTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, PHP
  2. Do you prefer any web languages to others? If so, what? Why?XSLT, because it separates logic from presentation, while working the same across server side scripting languages. So, if I ever get a job that requires, say JSP for example, I wouldn't need to learn JSP, but only get a sample code as to how to run an XSLT transformation.I also prefer PHP over ASP as it's been easier for me to learn it and understand it. I'm really looking forward to XProc, as it will bring XML one step closer to server side scripting languages.I prefer using XForms over HTML forms with JS, mostly because I don't know much JavaScript, but there are a number of other reasons I'll skip. Still, I'm not using it due to a bad browser support.
  3. Please rate the learning curve of the following web languages; leave blank if you have not used the language. If you are currently learning the language, please note how long you expect it to take you to learn the language. If there are languages that have been omitted and you have input regarding the learning curve, please add it at the end of the question.
    • HTML - Less then 1 week for syntax and basic use, more then 4 weeks for good use (needs CSS).
    • PHP - 1 to 2 weeks for basic syntax and use, more then 4 weeks for complete syntax and better use, maybe even more then an year for best use.
    • CSS - Less then 1 week for syntax and basic use, more then 4 weeks for good use (because of bad browser support), and it's currently impossible to use CSS at it's best.
    • JavaScript - 2 to 4 weeks for much of it's syntax and basic use, more then 4 weeks for complete syntax and good use, more then an year if ever for best use.
    • JAVA - Having absolutely no experience with it, I'd say 2 to 4 weeks if you know JavaScript's syntax completely, more then 4 weeks if not. For what use... perhaps basic. I don't know.
    • ASP(.NET?) - I don't have any experiences with ASP yet, though I could experiment. Still, I'd say 1 to 2 weeks if you know JScript or VBScript, more then 4 weeks if not. And that for basic use. At leat I feel that way.
    • XML - XML itself or it's syntax to be exact, in less then a day even. Understand it, and learning it's companions, such as XPath and XSLT however, 2 to 4 weeks for basic use, more then 4 weeks for best use.

[*]Do you feel that Internet Explorer hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.Of course it does with it's bad CSS and DOM support. It's a good thing MS have provides conditional comments, but they only allow smooth debugging. They don't provide missing support.[*]Do you feel that Firefox hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.Not really. There is a number of things I wish Firefox had support for, but scince IE doesn't have support for them either, that doesn't really bother anything I create.[*]Do you feel that any other browser hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.Nope. Opera btw is the browser which makes me wish some things in Firefox. Or in other words, that other browser not only doesn't hinder my design effectiveness, but infact makes other browsers look bad.[*]How often do you adhere strictly to W3C standards?All the time. Perhaps that is what sometimes hinders my design effectiveness. Trying to find a standard, accessable method for something which is known to be doable in an unaccessible way.[*]Is there one web language you use more than others? Which one, and why?XSLT. It's my favotive after all. PHP is the other, as it provides dynamics to XSLT. I'm not much of a front ender, so CSS falls behind.[*]How long have you been doing web design or development?Considering the small amount of projects I've done, I'd say a year as a true development, rather then just learning, and... does 1 payed project count as "proffesional"? I mean... I guess I'm not yet doing it professionally. Not truly.[*]Do you have any certifications? If so, which ones?None.

Suggestion: Deprecate the question about which language is more oftenly used. It's obvious it's the favorite language. Situation where they don't overlap are rare.

I'd add ColdFusion into your third question.
Why? I've only seen 2 websites that use coldfusion, some random game, and of course the adobe website (wonder why!). I dont see a reason to add a language that isnt exactly going anywehre, thats like saying add Basic or Pascal on there. (Not trying to flame, just point out something)1. XHTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Python2. Most definetly PHP, its nice and powerful, awesome docs, and easy to use.3.1.HTML(a)less than 1 week2.PHP(B )1 to 2 weeks3.CSS(a)less than 1 week4.JavaScript(B )1 to 2 weeks5.Java(d)more than 4 weeks6.ASPN/A7.XML(a)less than 1 week8.Flash(B )1 to 2 weeks4. Not really, I don't design much anyways.5. Nope6. No7. Most of the time8. PHP9. Web Development, over a year now10. No

Why? I've only seen 2 websites that use coldfusion, some random game, and of course the adobe website (wonder why!). I dont see a reason to add a language that isnt exactly going anywehre, thats like saying add Basic or Pascal on there. (Not trying to flame, just point out something)
Lets carry this conversation into another discussion as to avoid hijacking this topic . . . re: http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=12926

1.What web languages do you currently code in?
xhtml, css, php, javascript
2.Do you prefer any web languages to others? If so, what? Why?
css. it has transformed the way we style our pages and allowed for a seperation of content and presentation
3.Please rate the learning curve of the following web languages; leave blank if you have not used the language. If you are currently learning the language, please note how long you expect it to take you to learn the language. If there are languages that have been omitted and you have input regarding the learning curve, please add it at the end of the question.
1.HTML(d)more than 4 weeks (for a proper understanding of how to write semantic & neat code)2.PHP(d)more than 4 weeks 3.CSS(d)more than 4 weeks4.JavaScript(d)more than 4 weeks8.Flash(d)more than 4 weeks
4.Do you feel that Internet Explorer hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.
I spend a large portion of my time hacking for IE6. IE7 doesnt seem so bad so far
5.Do you feel that Firefox hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.
not at all
6.Do you feel that any other browser hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.
no
7.How often do you adhere strictly to W3C standards?(a)All the time(b)most of the time©about half the time(d)occasionally(e)rarely
all the time
8.Is there one web language you use more than others? Which one, and why?
i use both xhtml & css the most, i spend an equally time on both
9.How long have you been doing web design or development?
5 years (3 studying / 1 year freelancing / 1 year in a design company)
10.Do you have any certifications? If so, which ones?
higher diploma in multimedia & webmastering ba hons degree in graphic design

1. HTML, CSS, ASP, ASP.NET [VB.NET], PHP2. ASP.NET, reason: code seperation and IDE [Visual studio]3. HTML + CSS(d)more than 4 weeks[Once you get the idea of how server side scripting works, its not gonna take really long to learn new languages.]2.PHP(d)more than 4 weeks4.JavaScript(d)more than 4 weeks6.ASP(d)more than 4 weeks4.Do you feel that Internet Explorer hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.With very little cross browser work, yes IE hinders, writing CSS hacks is a pain....5.Do you feel that Firefox hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.No.6.Do you feel that any other browser hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.No idea, Dont deal with much of cross browser issues.7.How often do you adhere strictly to W3C standards?Most of the time8.Is there one web language you use more than others? Which one, and why?ASP.NET, reason: we use that at work.9.How long have you been doing web design or development?1.5 years10.Do you have any certifications? If so, which ones?NO

1. HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, ASP, C#.NET, ActionScript2. I prefer PHP for server-side programming because it's fast, powerful, and has excellent documentation.3. This question is vague, I don't know what you mean by "rate the learning curve", I don't understand how you can quantify that with time. If this question is asking how long it takes to become proficient in a certain language, it takes a lot longer then 4 weeks for proficiency. I'll give my answers by saying how long I think it would take a reasonable person working full time learning a language to be able to create something useful from scratch without a reference.1. HTML - 1-3 weeks2. PHP - 1-3 months3. CSS - 1-2 weeks4. JavaScript - 2-3 weeks5. Java - 1-3 months6. ASP - 1-2 months7. XML - 2-3 weeks8. Flash - Flash isn't a language4. IE hinders web development because it is buggy, has poor support for standards, and is used by the majority.5. No, as an alternative to IE, Firefox is making things better.6. No7. A8. HTML, because you can't do anything online without it. That should be obvious.9. 9 years10. University degree in computer science

1.What web languages do you currently code in?Html xhtml css php2.Do you prefer any web languages to others? If so, what? Why?php 3.Please rate the learning curve of the following web languages; leave blank if you have not used the language. If you are currently learning the language, please note how long you expect it to take you to learn the language. If there are languages that have been omitted and you have input regarding the learning curve, please add it at the end of the question.1.HTML(B)1 to 2 weeks2.PHP(d)more than 4 weeks3.CSS(a)less than 1 week4.Do you feel that Internet Explorer hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.I feel that it slows down the process of making a website that looks the same in all browsers. 5.Do you feel that Firefox hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.Firefox has not hindered my designing at all6.Do you feel that any other browser hinders your designing effectiveness in any way? Explain.7.How often do you adhere strictly to W3C standards?(b)most of the time8.Is there one web language you use more than others? Which one, and why?PHP with xhtml9.How long have you been doing web design or development?2-3years10.Do you have any certifications? If so, which ones?no

Archived