Site interactivity

therich

Lets say I run an extremely busy website that hosts hundreds of movie reviews and celebrity interviews e.t.c.Now I want to raise the bar, I want readers of the site to be able to register and post their own comments views on a movie review (or interview) actually on the site (underneath the review for example) and also rate the movie e.t.c...What is the best way to go about this and how difficult is it going to be?Thanks for reading.

Learn a server side language like ASP or PHP and get to know a database like MySql. You will need these tchnologies to do what you are asking.It is not difficult. You would need somesort of comment and voting input forms and then to display the comments oyu are just retreiving data from the database.

Learn a server side language like ASP or PHP and get to know a database like MySql. You will need these tchnologies to do what you are asking.It is not difficult. You would need somesort of comment and voting input forms and then to display the comments oyu are just retreiving data from the database.

Are ASP and PHP difficult to grasp? Which one of the two would you recommend personally?Thanks again.-R

Are ASP and PHP difficult to grasp? Which one of the two would you recommend personally?Thanks again.-R

Considering he has the name ASPNetGuy....what do you think? :) From other discussions on this board and reading some about both, they are not to difficult to grasp the basic ideas, now to get more complex, it might take some work, but then again all things in life do. Here is an article from about 2 years ago comparing ASP, PHP and gives a brief comment on JSP and Coldfusion (other server side langauges). http://www.pointafter.com/Archives/nl0203.htmTheir conclusion is to choose the one you feel most comfortable with or the one that you feel you have the best support for (meaning out of the people you contact for help, what do they use....then you have an instant source of help when you run into problems). As for me, I have just been reading the basics of both, but have not taken the plunge into either.ASP.Net is another option and the one preferred by ASPNetGuy I am sure, but he would be the best person to explain the reasons for using .Net

Considering he has the name ASPNetGuy....what do you think? :) From other discussions on this board and reading some about both, they are not to difficult to grasp the basic ideas, now to get more complex, it might take some work, but then again all things in life do. Here is an article from about 2 years ago comparing ASP, PHP and gives a brief comment on JSP and Coldfusion (other server side langauges). http://www.pointafter.com/Archives/nl0203.htmTheir conclusion is to choose the one you feel most comfortable with or the one that you feel you have the best support for (meaning out of the people you contact for help, what do they use....then you have an instant source of help when you run into problems). As for me, I have just been reading the basics of both, but have not taken the plunge into either.ASP.Net is another option and the one preferred by ASPNetGuy I am sure, but he would be the best person to explain the reasons for using .Net

Yeah, but I am asking for a recommendation as a newbie to it all. He has possibly delved into several languages and decided ASP.NET is his preference, hence my question.Thanks for the response in any event.

Yeah, but I am asking for a recommendation as a newbie to it all. He has possibly delved into several languages and decided ASP.NET is his preference, hence my question.
This is true. I started in PERL, then learned ASP, then JSP, then ASP.NET. I do prefer .Net over anyother language I have used.I would recommend Asp.Net as a goal. It is more Object Oriented than other scripting languages but far more powerful. If the though of .Net intimidates you, look into it at least, then go with ASP. ASP isn't too hard to migrate to .Net later.If you like more open source stuff or are a linux person you can't use ASP or .Net as they are windows products only. In that case the only option I would consider is PHP...It has plenty of resources and support out ther and it integrates with MySql well.If you have anymore questions just ask.

I would personally prefer PHP over any other language. It's easy to learn, and can be embeded directly into HTML. ASP is [somewhat] good too, but PHP is much better if you are going to use a database, such as MySQL (which in your case is true). Also, ASP is only compatible on IIS, while PHP, being open-source, can be used on almost any server, and many operating systems.

I would personally prefer PHP over any other language. It's easy to learn, and can be embeded directly into HTML. ASP is [somewhat] good too, but PHP is much better if you are going to use a database, such as MySQL (which in your case is true). Also, ASP is only compatible on IIS, while PHP, being open-source, can be used on almost any server, and many operating systems.

PHP sounds like what I need. Although ASP sounds interesting too... thanks guys.

How difficult is Cold Fusion to grasp? And will it do the job? The simpler the better really... PHP sounds like the easiest, but still effective, option for me at this point.

Here is a nice little introduction to the code! :)(check out the code snippet explorer - top navigation)

Here is a nice little introduction to the code! (check out the code snippet explorer - top navigation)
Wow, I just looked at it, I have never looked at CF code before *ashamed*, and I am amazed at how much like HMTL tags it is.Are all those examples built into CF or are they plug-ins?I must look at some more tutorials.

Wow, I just looked at it, I have never looked at CF code before *ashamed*, and I am amazed at how much like HMTL tags it is.Are all those examples built into CF or are they plug-ins?I must look at some more tutorials.

The fact that it looks soo much like HTML made it sooo easy for me to learn. Its just like HTML except every tag starts with "<cf..." - so you have <cfif>...<cfelse>...</cfif>. And the tags are logical so when you learn you just need a tag reference book or site and you can figure out what you need to do in very little time.That entire site that I linked to is all coded in Cold Fusion. All the flash movies you see are not developed in flash, they are generated on the server by Cold Fusion tags - its pretty slick.That interface allows you top play with the code - so have at it - its nice. :)