Logfile

shah_ankitb

Every server has a Logfile as per i think.There are many Computers connected with Server.Suppose I am on the Client Side. So can I access Logfile?.If i am on the Server can anybody tell me what is the path of Logfile or where it stores like (c:\\WINDOWS\...).Logfile contains the information of how many sites are visited by client. means it stores path of that.So can Anybody tell me What is exactly meaning of Log File, What it Containts,How to access it?. If u can focus with example or particular website then it will be more easy 4 me to understand.

• 2 weeks later...
Every server has a Logfile as per i think.There are many Computers connected with Server.Suppose I am on the Client Side. So can I access Logfile?.If i am on the Server can anybody tell me what is the path of Logfile or where it stores like (c:\\WINDOWS\...).Logfile contains the information of how many sites are visited by client. means it stores path of that.So can Anybody tell me What is exactly meaning of Log File, What it Containts,How to access it?. If u can focus with example or particular website then it will be more easy 4 me to understand.
Hi Ankit, you are right every server have log file and but not every web-site, yeah web host providers have that.but there is different concept if a server is maintaining log file or a web-site is maintaining log-file.even there are number of definitions for log-file. there is no standard for log-file.like- usually server maintain log-file, so that another instance can't be created. Means only one person should be able to access only one time.that's called singleton design pattern under which we implement log-file.usually web-site server maintain log-file to count the number of users logged in and timing of log-out and log-in. This was about log-file. (again its not standard but usual)Now, from client side you can't access log-file. log file only accessible to Admin, for which u need id & pass.log-file is part of architecture, so there is no common place you can find log-file, its depend on architect of product/software.In web-site case, there is no log-file for customer(web-site owner), they just got in-built software with functionalities provide by web-site hosting service, using that software web-site owner become able to know, what time user log-in and logged-out. and how... all stuff supported by that web-host service.I tried to make it clear..if any doubt, let me know...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx Ashvini, Actully i got the Answer Now.I made the One Website.I also have that Hosting Providers ID/Pass.In that i go to the Login Manager.It Gives me the Details.Which i can show u.I can only show u which information they r providing.I could'nt show u the Data of that because it is confidential. Log File Show Details Of Following Fields.date time s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port cs-username c-ip cs-version cs(User-Agent) cs(Cookie) cs(Referer) cs-host sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-bytes time-taken i hope that will help u.If u have any question regarding this u can ask me.

Wow! A Local Area Network log file would be different from A Web server log file, which would be different fromA database server's log file. It looks like you are accessing a web server access log file. There would also be a performance log file, and a server error logfile on all three of the server function types mentioned above, and workstation clients as well. This sort of information would help me understand what you were looking for. But you found your answer. This is good. :)

Archived