Perl Tutorials

pikablu

I am requesting a tutorial be made on Perl, it is a language I am trying to learn but cannot find any good tutorials on, just this book I am reading, but I would like to look it up on the web, also. I thought this might be a good place to have it at.

PHP can do anything Perl can do and more, do it faster and with the same amount or less code. The syntax is similar as well. Perl is really on the way out, except for maintaining code that already exists.

PHP can do anything Perl can do and more, do it faster and with the same amount or less code. The syntax is similar as well. Perl is really on the way out, except for maintaining code that already exists.
If that is an answer as to why there shouldn't be a Perl tutorial here, I would like to add that the same argument could be made between ASP and ASP.NET and yet there is still an ASP tutorial here. :)

If that is an answer as to why there shouldn't be a Perl tutorial here, I would like to add that the same argument could be made between ASP and ASP.NET and yet there is still an ASP tutorial here. :)
A good point, but then again they already made the ASP tutorial at a time it was popular and still a supported language. Would be a shame to throw off something that has so much hard work behind it, no? :)

A good point, but then again they already made the ASP tutorial at a time it was popular and still a supported language. Would be a shame to throw off something that has so much hard work behind it, no? :)
That is true but at the same time it is a shame for a new coder to waste their time with a dead language.

If they make a perl tutorial, I want a python tutorial :). Python can do anything PHP can do, and even more! It can be server side, but it is mainly used for applications and its amazing!

what tutorials get written is soley at teh discresion of the site owners and is based on their skills. Chances are there are no python or perl (or Java) tutorials because it is either not a language that the owners know well or it is not supported by their servers.

Well, I still have it out there as a request and suggestion. I know PHP is good, but, I like Perl just a bit better. I know it is not my choice is they make one, so, I don't want to get into an argument about it.

Well, I still have it out there as a request and suggestion. I know PHP is good, but, I like Perl just a bit better. I know it is not my choice is they make one, so, I don't want to get into an argument about it.
There is no argument, I agree it would be great to have Java(J2EE), ColdFusion, PERL, Python tutorials. I would be a big boost to this community but nobody here has the power to tell you yes. Server capabilities is a big issue. I imagine the server only has ASP,PHP, and ASP.Net (although some hosts include PERL on Windows Servers, but it is not as common as Linux hosts).

• 2 years later...

I think there should be a Perl tutorial for the simple reason that professional web developers at some time or another are probably going to have to maintain (well, at least try to) someone else's messy Perl CGI scripts.I'm not quite sure Perl is a dead language on its way out. Perhaps for web development, but a lot of old timers still use it because you can hack together stuff with it pretty quickly. Oddly enough I think that's the reason they use Perl, even for apps that have nothing to do with the web - sure, it wasn't developed for CGI programming, I know that.You can get lots done in a small amount of code, and it is possible, but not guaranteed ;-) you can write readable Perl code that's even beautiful.While we're on the subject, it does show some signs of fading away. Parrot and all the cool new Perl 6 things have been very slow in coming. If that could get going and come good for production work I'm sure Perl can become popular again. On the other hand, all the Perl 4 or Perl 5 people would probably stick to their old favourite Perl hacks...

If they make a perl tutorial, I want a python tutorial :). Python can do anything PHP can do, and even more! It can be server side, but it is mainly used for applications and its amazing!
Python is far more amazing than PHP, if you ask me. ;-) Extending and embedding... the Python interpreter code is rather neat and clean. As well as all the other stuff you can do with Python in very readable code.Call me crazy, but I find Pascal eminently readable and I'd like to see a new Pascal that can do app and web dev stuff. Okay, I probably am nuts...

Archived