Site Management

Truly

Hi guys, question for you all.How many of you guys use any sort of content management system (CMS) on your websites. I am in the process of building one that I can use for all of my future websites that will include user management, news and article posting, page creation, stat collection, mass emails and stuff like that. This way I can let others do work on tehs ite and not worry about saftey issues or just mistakes and it makes everything simple and uniform and also saves me from having to recode alot of the same stuff for each subsequent site I create.Do you guys use anything like this or do you just code it all seperately for each site?Just curious :)

I used a homemade blog/CMS for my site, but since I never got a chance to finish it I download Wordpress and made my own design for it.Edit:I think I misunderstood your question...lol

I use Wordpress for my blogs and I have tried many CMS products for my other websites (like Joomla and ModXCMS) and didn't really find one I liked, so I am currently designing my own.

I build all customized solutions since I always seem to get clients that need everything massaged. But that might change as I get more aclimted with OOP. I think this will accommodate these differences more efficiently and make my applications even more stable and more expandable.My test for my new approach is with a 10yr.+ client that has finally asked for a CMS and even a blog. So, I'm taking the opportunity to experiment with an open source ColdFusion blog that runs solely off of XML (no database).In any respect, its all customized for me (for now).

I build all customized solutions since I always seem to get clients that need everything massaged. But that might change as I get more aclimted with OOP. I think this will accommodate these differences more efficiently and make my applications even more stable and more expandable.My test for my new approach is with a 10yr.+ client that has finally asked for a CMS and even a blog. So, I'm taking the opportunity to experiment with an open source ColdFusion blog that runs solely off of XML (no database).In any respect, its all customized for me (for now).
It would be interesting to see what the performance of that blog is like (with decent traffic)...will be much slower than a database for sure though.

It would be interesting to see what the performance of that blog is like (with decent traffic)...will be much slower than a database for sure though.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it turns out. This client is VERY small and really doesn't need a blog. But, she wants one and I can't talk her out of it - I just write it off as blog hype. But it does give me the opportunity to experiment with the idea. I do plan on monitoring the foot print and to actually database the information as well. In fact, I planned on having a trigger in my configuration file that tells me whether to use XML or DB. I just want to see if I can build a completely portable blog application that is built off of one object. BTW, this idea was born off the new <cffeed> tag available in CF8 - so I've been wondering just how much I can manipulate one tag for the entire application (like repurposing rss title, description, author, etc.)Its an experiment, so it will undoubtedly go all over the place - you're welcome to grinds its gears if your interested.
isnt a blog just posting messages? or maybe I have the wrong idea of a blog.. but that doesnt sound like that hard of something to build! correct me if I am wrong
In layman's terms, you are correct (which is why I'm disgusted in the hype and attention they draw). But the act of posting something to be used at a later time does imply that the information needs to be stored. So, it would require at least XML, but most commonly a database.

Thanks for all the replies, I was just curious to see if I was the only one :).As far as blogs yeh I think they are a little over hyped as well, people just love the fact that now the whole world can listen to them talk about nothing. The forget the fact that in most cases no one is going to read it haha.

As far as blogs yeh I think they are a little over hyped as well, people just love the fact that now the whole world can listen to them talk about nothing. The forget the fact that in most cases no one is going to read it haha.
The problems with blogs aren't that people talk about nothing, the problem with blogs is that people talk about literally the exact same thing as other blogs. A lot of people's idea of a blog is a website where they copy and paste news stories from other sources (which is not always legal, BTW), and then for some reason they expect people to come to their "blog" to read the latest tech news story from Reuters or whatever. A Google search for "blog" returns well over 1 billion results. The total population of the planet is about 6.5 billion, there are just over 300 million people in the US. The vast majority of blogs out there are simple copy-and-paste recap blogs where the author doesn't contribute anything to the story, the just re-hash what someone else said. An example of a good blog is slashdot.org. On that site, the moderators post links to stories (not just paste the story text), and they have some discussion about the content of the story, it is much more then just copied and pasted text.So, I place zero value on blogs and have never considered starting one of my own because when I look at the world of blogs and see a bunch of news stories replicated, I just don't see the value. It doesn't add anything to the internet to have one story repeated in 100,000 places. If the author of the blog is not trying to foster a discussion or not giving their own input on things that matter to me, then I have absolutely no motivation to visit the blog.

Well said aspnetguy, I wasn't going to go all into it, but I think you have summarized the perspective I have. I'm not a big fan of them and I only keep up with a handful of blogs - and they are authentic ColdFusion oriented blogs posted by developers.

Well said aspnetguy, I wasn't going to go all into it, but I think you have summarized the perspective I have. I'm not a big fan of them and I only keep up with a handful of blogs - and they are authentic ColdFusion oriented blogs posted by developers.
I think you mean justsomeguy??? :)

So, I place zero value on blogs and have never considered starting one of my own because when I look at the world of blogs and see a bunch of news stories replicated, I just don't see the value.
from what ive read at seochat.com about search engines.. the only thing I can think of is that its new content. and alot of search engines reward sites with higher rankings if they have frequent content updates.

I think you mean justsomeguy??? :)
lol - all you "guy"s are the same - makes me wanna join your clan and call myself "acfguy" but I don;t know if I have enough letters to qualify?

Yeah, they do. But think about it, if a billion sites have blogs just to provide "updated content" for a search engine, how much are search engines going to weight that? Search engines used to look at meta keywords in the HTML pages, until everyone and their brother started pasting the dictionary into their meta tags. Search engines even used to look at comments. But once everyone starts doing certain things (like having a blog), the value of that is reduced to the point where the search engines won't even notice.So, I'll say it again: if you have a blog on your site and it is a legitimate blog updated by someone whose job it is to update it, with relevant information about the website, it will improve the search rankings. If you install Wordpress and periodically paste a copied news story into the blog, don't expect it to rank you higher. In fact, as soon as Google can distinguish between a truly moderated and updated blog vs. a news paster, sites with blogs that replicate other people's content are actually going to receive a lower ranking, which they deserve.People using a blog strictly as a tool to increase their rankings or to increase their advertising deserve to be listed lower.

That's brilliant.

Blogging: If minds had anuses, blogging would be what your mind would do when it had to take a dump.
Brilliant.
URL (as pronounced "ERL"): Few things invoke more contempt for humanity than someone who pronounces URL as "erl." It's an acronym, not a word you ######! Between people who say "erl" and programmers who pronounce char (an abbreviation for character) as "chär" (with the "ch" pronounced like in "chart"), I get so pissed that I just want to saw my arms off.
Wow, that guy is my brother from another mother.and lol at the profanity filter for catching that word

Blogstorm: A zany phrase news anchors like to use any time they think there's an abnormal amount of posts on blogs regarding any particular topic. Of course, they fail to consider any amount of posting to a blog is abnormal since people who are well adjusted usually have better things to do, i.e., work, or failing that, anything else.
:)
and lol at the profanity filter for catching that word
It catches the "####" part loosely and filters the whole word.

That's brilliant.Brilliant.Wow, that guy is my brother from another mother.and lol at the profanity filter for catching that word
I found that site a while back that is definately some good reading, LOL

Archived