looking for some sql assistance!

Jamess

I've been trying to convert my site (http://firstcarfund.co.uk) so that its got an admin-panel type thingy, where i can add, edit, delete games etc.. But i honestly have little idea about what to do. Do i need to upload pages/games into the mySQL database? If so, how can I do this? I'm also trying to create some sort functions, would sort by date look like:$query = SELECT * from `games` SORTBY `dateadded`i have tried so many things, but with about 20 sql errors in half an hour i dont think my soul can bear another one!

I've been trying to convert my site (http://firstcarfund.co.uk) so that its got an admin-panel type thingy, where i can add, edit, delete games etc.. But i honestly have little idea about what to do. Do i need to upload pages/games into the mySQL database? If so, how can I do this? I'm also trying to create some sort functions, would sort by date look like:$query = SELECT * from `games` SORTBY `dateadded`i have tried so many things, but with about 20 sql errors in half an hour i dont think my soul can bear another one!
First, you should learn SQL. "SORTBY" isn't an SQL function, but "ORDER BY" is.Second, it looks like you're trying to modify an existing piece of software. Good luck on that if you don't know PHP, SQL, or how your software even stores page templates.I'm about 99% sure that you won't have to upload any games into your MySQL database, you probably have to upload them to a special folder on your server. In your admin console, there is probably a page that lets you upload games: it'll be saving games to your website, it will not save the binary data in the database (that would be resource intensive and pointless).To create new pages, you need to create a file on your computer, something like "page.php", and upload it to one of the directories on your website. The page will be blank until you put some code into it. I don't think you should try to do that until you learn PHP first.

I didnt mean i was editing existing CMS systems: i was trying to create one.. Im SQL literate (sortve) but not fabulous because ive not dealt with it alot. I do know PHP.Is it possible to have <? include('sql query?') ?>MySQL wont be affected because I use query strings in my index will it? Or could I possibly edit these slightly?if ($page=="<? sql query for game name if i defined it in PHP/MYSQL ?>") {include ("<? sql query for game name and link to game page (.inc) ?>);}elseif ($page=="<?sql query for other game name if defined ?>") {include ("<? sql query for game name and link to game page (.inc) ?>);}or is there an easier/simpler way of doing it? Someone said if I uploaded the games to a MySQL that would call upon them with a simple query but i'd rather keep stuff out of SQL if possible..?

Archived