Best One

Bhushan

My personal preference is Cold Fusion. If you already know HTMl, then transitioning into another tag based language is easiest. It still gains more and more popularity, its free to develop in and unless you are looking to host your own server, its just as accessible in third party hosting services - so cost is not an issue.Everyone has their own preferences, and you will hear folks swear by Cold Fusion (me), and others that will lean you toward PHP or ASP. Each have their subtle differences that feed their advantages or disadvantages. So it most commonly comes down to the environment that your application will reside in and how you learn.I'm gonna leave it at that for now. I URGE other members to be careful answering this thread - I will be watching it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.Bhushan Please go through the ASP and PHP tutorials here and eve explore some Cold Fusion ones here:http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/program.../tutorial2.html(a little dated, but a good preview)And get a feel for which ones you warm up to faster. Then, ask a little more specific question, this one almost opens pandoras box.:)

Hi Skemcin,Thanks for that information. I require one information from you. Could you please tell me how useful it would be if I start using ASP.NET ?.I heard from one of my collegue that ASP.NET can be used both for client side validation as well as for server side scripting.Please let me know if my understandign is correct.Thanks in advance,Bhushan.

ASP.Net itself can't do client side validation but is easy to integrate JavaScript to do clientsside stuff.ASP.Net as huge advantages over scripting lanaguages like ASP or PHP in areas like security and the fact that you can hide and compile your program logic in dll files when destributing apllications and websites(aka your clients can't see your code even if they have the files on their server).I prefer ASP.Net because of it huge support base and ever expanding thrid-party components and you have the full power of VB.Net or C# to do Graphics programming and other great stuff, scripting languages can't do.Oh and with .Net you can access almost any Microsoft product to do data retrieval/insert data, or make modifications.

Hi Skemcin,Thanks for that information. I require one information from you. Could you please tell me how useful it would be if I start using ASP.NET ?.I heard from one of my collegue that ASP.NET can be used both for client side validation as well as for server side scripting.Please let me know if my understandign is correct.Thanks in advance,Bhushan.

As aspnetguy points out, javascript is the only language that can perform client side validation. It would be a good practice to use javascript for that and then use your serverside scripting language to validate that as well - since it is client side, I could conceivably get around the validation - never trust anything you do or ask to be done on the client side.Anyway, just understand that a language can either be client side or server side - it can't be both. That is why it is so important to make sure you find ways to make them work together (again what aspnetguy eludes to). HTML, like javascript, is clietn side only - all it doesn is display information and asp, php, and cold fusion cannot do anything without their respective engine to process them, so the source code would be useless if it were rendered on the client's pc. Well, useless in that it can't do anything, very useful to a nosey person what could figure out what its doing (but thats a different story)
Oh and with .Net you can access almost any Microsoft product to do data retrieval/insert data, or make modifications.

ewww, that sent a chill up my spine . . . lol:)

I would go for php aswell, i don't know which one is better but it's cross platform which is great and if you know a language like JavaScript or C++ it's very similar. Plus there is tons of support and books on it. ASP only works with windowsColdfusion? never heard of it until i came here

Coldfusion is a a Server Side language by Macromedia. I think you need to pay for it...

You do not need to pay for cold fusion unless you are going to be a cold fusion host. Adobe (who just bought Macromedia) offers a single server license for Cold Fusion which is all you need as a developer on your local pc. Once you need to move a site live, just like anyone else, you find a hosting service - I recommend Crystal Tech for any paid hosting, including Cold Fusion.Cold Fusion is just as accessible as php and asp - just not as popular yet.

Cold Fusion is a great language indeed. I tasted a bit of it's power and it's truly delicious :) .However, the fact that hosts must pay for it makes it very unatractive to them. That's actually the reason for the top popularity of php. It runs on both Linux and Windows and it's free.ASP.NET is free but it needs Windows which is payed.ColdFusion runs on Windows and Linux. Hosts can get Linux for free but they must still pay for ColdFusion itselfPHP can run on the free linux and PHP itself is also free.Conclusion: Hosts look for "invest less, win more" plans, and PHP requres less investment, yet it holds great enough power for people to use the host's plan.As for which is the best development tool. Let's make a comparrison:If you are not sure about your host or you want to enable yourself to move to a host that would support your language, you would need a language that is most widely supported. In this caseColdFusion-1ASP.NET-2PHP-3In order to publish your stuff you would have to create it first, right? So The ease of use in my opinion is this:ColdFusion-3ASP.NET-2PHP-1(I don't know more about PHP then I do about ASP.NET and yet I place ASP.NET above PHP, can you believe it?)Looking until now makes the languages all equal. Each gets 4 points. So let's continue.All languages have great support of many technologies. However, there are some for which a lot of lines are requred to get the thing you want. The best way to compare languages in terms of support is by comparing the number of commands needed to perform one task. Of what I have seen I may say this:ColdFusion-2ASP.NET-2PHP-1ColdFusion shares 2 points with ASP.NET because each supports things that the other doesn't support as well as the other. ASP has support for Microsoft kind'a things, and ColdFusion has a support for Macromedia kind'a things. PHP only has support for common things, not related to both parties.What if the language doesn't have ANY support of what you're looking after? You would need a way to extend the language with your own scripts using other languages. For this criteria I would say:ColdFusion-3ASP.NET-2PHP-1ColdFusion Supports creating custom tags and functions as well as extend the language with C++, JAVA, etc.ASP could be extended with with C++ and others as well but something tells me creating tags and functions linke in ColdFusion is easier then C++ extending.PHP can't be extended. The only way to extend it would be to use it's existing functions in a great combinations to create a new application for this particular action. In other words: a lot of lines of code.One last thing. Documentation. It's not about if there is some. Of course there is. the question is how easily understoodable and easy to find is. I think this:ColdFusion-2ASP.NET-2PHP-3Because of it's popularity, PHP is documented in many books and the manual in the official site is really huge and complete, though I admit it's hard to find anything in it as a learning source.The tutorials at w3schools about ASP(.NET) are more than complete I think so this alone makes it well documented. I bet other solutions there are also pretty full.ColdFusion is documented in dreamwaver as well as it's own documentation. I think due to Macromedia's attempts to make their language popular they inlude some info everywhere they get the chance which makes the language kind'a well documented but there isn't any place I would call "the source of knowedge" which is the reason I don't give 3 points to ColdFusion.The results are not very complete here by the way. But the total is this:ColdFusion-11ASP.NET-10PHP-8But the price is a big issue you know.

very very yummy post boen_robot - nicely done. I can't wait to share this breakdown with my boss - if you don't mind.:)makes me feel much better about my choice of programming languages - Cold Fusion

I don't care what you say...lol...just kidding. I still go with ASP.NetBTW, ASP and ASP.Net are different. You do not need C++ to extend ASP.Net. I has almost 100% of the power of C# or VB.Net and can extend itself with extended classes and overridden methods.The biggest plus for me is the compiled code. I can develop tools and extend classes and pack them into a .dll (and I don't need C++). This allows me to port this extra functionality to all my apps with a simple cut and paste of assemblies.

the compiled code is one of the nice aspects of .NET and the fact that it mingles with other Microsoft Technologies - mainly C#. I am a working in a .NET Association Management System where I develop web applications - mainly a new bookstore for my place of work. So I am seeing the benefits of it there. One note I think aspnetguy pointed out once before was that the compiled code (dll or set of dlls) could essentially be an entire website. This makes it easier to distribute your code with out the source being available. So if you developed a slick content management peice, you could distribute it much more easily in .NET than any other language.But, I'm still a CF Guru!:)

To tell you the truth, at first I wanted to make ColdFusion's points equal to ASP.NET's but in the process of writing I decided to give 1 more point to ColdFusion when it came to extension.I know that ASP has many(if not all) of the abilities of C# but NOT using the language itself is what made my point. PHP can be extended using it's existing capabilities which are great. ASP.NET has greather capabilities, that's for sure. But as I said, I think creating custom tags and functions in ColdFusion using ColdFusion itself is most probably easier and it has the ability for C# extension.Hm...oh well... substracting 1 point from ColdFusion for that makes it equal to ASP.NET.The big issue is still the price though. If hosts must pay for it, this makes it more expensive to us you know.Note: Theese are all my opinions and I don't want to "force" them. I don't have any experience with ASP.NET and I barely know PHP and ColdFusion, so my opinions are not as trustworthy but they are neutral scince I'm not very experienced with any of those languages.[edit] Well, the thing we are tring to do here is point the newbies in the right direction, right? That's why I had to mention the thing above. [/edit]

Hey, this is just all my opinion too. I have worked with many programming languages...PERL, ASP, ASP.Net, C#, VB6, VB.Net, C, JAVA, JSP.I like ASP.Net for the reasons I mentioned....in my experience is the best language for me, not necessarily everyone.

JSP ( with the accompanying J2EE platform ) is hard to beat. I think they all have enough power to do what you want but there are clearly differences. I like the java stuff because A) its very cheap ( you can get full enterprise servers, or simpler servers, for zero dollars ), B) the platform has much documentation, C) the platform demonstrates best practices of software engineering If you are going to pay for a hosting site, then support for platforms is probably one of the most important things, as someone has said. Cost of development tools is also important. With the J2EE stuff, development tools are very cheap. I'm unfamiliar with the cost of hosting space though.

ASP.Net Development tools are FREE!You can download VWD Express and SQL Server Express from Microsoft for free. they are lighter than the full versions but get the job done easily and quickly.As far as I know ASP.Net hosting is alot easier to find and from what I have seen cheaper too.

The good news is that all the major languages have FREE developing tools (including cold fusion). I was elated when Cold Fusion switched to a J2EE server engine - its much more stable and that much more expandable. But it stil has that server cost. In any respect the host I use does and excellent job managing php, asp, and cold fusion hosting packages and all at very competive rates. The only main difference I have found is that the Cold Fusion server licensing cost doesn't allow them to offer a $9 package like it does for asp and php. But if you're using Cold Fusion, you tend to be doing more than just tinkering around so it would be fairly rare to use a smaller package.There is no doubt that this discussion is like trying to figure out which is better, the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, or Chrysler Town and Country.(arggh man, I'm talking mini-vans instead of muscle cars, my wife would be proud!):)