GoDaddy.com Hosting Problem

MinusMyThoughts

Hey, everyone!So, I recently shifted my hosting to GoDaddy.com (please don't tell me it was dumb; I know, now).First problem, I already posted up here. Tons of warnings and errors that didn't exist on other servers. I don't know what all that was about, but I just used error suppression and it's all fine.Second problem, much more confusing than the first, is that the mail() function doesn't seem to be working. It seems that GoDaddy has limited a ton of PHP features, which sort of pisses me off, but I talked to tech support and they said I could, if I was so inclined, write a mail script that would allow the mail() function to work.Does anyone know about this?And, has anyone overcome this?I don't know much, if anything, about configuring PHP on a server. I was under the impression that I could trust my host to take care of the server, since I'm paying them for it. I was wrong.Any ninjas want to help out a desperate fledgling developer?Thanks!-Jason

Yeah, the host can limit anything they. There's actually not much you can do except find out what they limited. These options are only allowed to be set in either php.ini or httpd.conf, so unless your script can open one of those and save it, there's nothing you can do to change these.If you want to find out if safe mode is enabled, the option is called safe_mode. To find out which functions they have disabled, the option is disable_functions. To find out if the open_basedir restriction is on, the option is (surprisingly) open_basedir. You can use the ini_get function to check:

<?phpecho "safe_mode: " . ini_get("safe_mode") . "<br>";echo "disable_functions: " . ini_get("disable_functions") . "<br>";echo "open_basedir: " . ini_get("open_basedir") . "<br>";?>

If they have either safe mode on or they are disabling functions, first ask them nicely to remove those restrictions and if they don't then kindly take your business elsewhere.

Miraculously, everything started working, and properly. I didn't change my code, either.If I get anymore ghosts in the server, I'm out. Recommended host, sir?-Jason

relichost.net > cheap, instant, easy. Much easier than any host ive had in the past, mind i've only ever had 3.They include unlimited of all the basics, email subdomain mysql db addon domain etc, the stuff other people get fussy about and make you upgrade packages for..If you do sign up, please do so through http://www.relichost.net/manage/aff.php?aff=001 so that i get an affiliate bonus :)!ugh sorry about double post i must've accidentally pressed back & forward or something! sorry!

That actually brings up another question I never really thought important enough to post a topic on: does it matter where your host is based?Relichost is a UK based hosting service; would hosting throught hem cause problems for me or any US-based users?Just an idle thought.-Jason

You would want to check with them to see when they usually schedule down time. They will probably schedule it for night (UK time) which probably will be at a more inconvenient time for you. That is reallty the only issue with foriegn hosts, well maybe support hours

It wouldn't cause problems, but it would be slower just because it's farther. You can try to ping the host servers to run a traceroute to see the path a packet takes between you and the server. The UK server would have a lot more hops then a US server for someone in the US.As far as good hosts go, I like geekhosting.com and icdsoft.com. For dedicated or private servers, I like ev1servers, which apparently is now theplanet.com.

see the basic difference through using speedtest.net ~ use the UK server and then the US server and compare the speeds, but the effects might be a little bit less responsive, clearly, as its a hosting company and not a hole professional thing like speedtest, but the pricinciple is there.. there wasn't that much differences in the ping or upload/download rates when i used a US host, so id imagine the same would happen for us to uk.

Archived