web 2.0

killay

hey there,I've been seeying web2.0 on several sites. But what is it actually?Is it some sort of package you can donwload? Or some way to design a website?kind regards,Peter

what the only changes are just easier uses of internet???

Web 1.0 Web 2.0DoubleClick --> Google AdSenseOfoto --> FlickrAkamai --> BitTorrentmp3.com --> NapsterBritannica Online --> Wikipediapersonal websites --> bloggingevite --> upcoming.org and EVDBdomain name speculation --> search engine optimizationpage views --> cost per clickscreen scraping --> web servicespublishing --> participationcontent management systems --> wikisdirectories (taxonomy) --> tagging ("folksonomy")stickiness --> syndication

The changes are uses of more advanced technology. Examples:where you'd first make your cms you now create a wiki page for project specific documentation.People use p2p programs for file exchange, and not websites.The AdSense content specific advertising replaces banner systems like Double Click.It's just a bunch of new standards, based on new technologies. The Web is evolving, new technologies and solutions spawn anywhere to replace their obsolete counterparts. This is the Real World Matrix, baby! (yes the movie was one big programmer's joke :) )

hey there,I've been seeying web2.0 on several sites. But what is it actually?Is it some sort of package you can donwload? Or some way to design a website?kind regards,Peter
No, its a buzzword used to describe a recent trend of web development defined by massive, decentralized collaborative effort by users to generate site content. Social networking sites like Myspace and Facebook, Wikipedia, Flickr, craigslist, eBay, etc all exist because of massive collaborative user effort.As far as site design goes, most Web 2.0 rely on AJAX to make sites look and feel more like desktop applications, depend on RSS feeds to track content on other sites, etc. A few visual elements like rounded "glassy" edges on dividers, heavy use of gradient colors used as backgrounds, heavy use of dropshadows to a site a more 3-d feel, etc.As an example, one of my sites, FSTDT.com falls under the term "Web 2.0" application. Although the design is extremely simple, all of the content on the site is contributed by users; new content sites in a moderation queue, and users control whether the new content will be published on the site or not; after content is published, users can leave comments; I also have a forum where where users can chat amongst themselves. The site would not exist without 1000s and 1000s of volunteers running it everyday. The site is constantly updated everyday with new content without my direct input at all.

Web 2.0 is a term that people who don't understand technology use to describe the fact that technology on the web is changing.
ahhh (sigh of relief), thank you. justsomeguy speakith with much wisdom!Knowing what web 2.0 is as about as useful as not knowing what web 2.0 is all about.

Exactly. People who would understand the difference between the first and second-generation internet do not use terms like "Web 2.0", they use terms like "AJAX" or "Ruby on Rails" or whatever that describe the specific technology, not just a broad term meaning "this is after what came first", which is pretty much all "Web 2.0" means. A Web 2.0 website is a website that did not exist in 1998.

...A Web 2.0 website is a website that did not exist in 1998.
more accurately
...A Web 2.0 website is a website that could not exist in 1998.
web 2.0 = fluff, terminology used by middle and upper management to help justify web site enhancement expenditures or to otherwise attempt to show technological expertise superiority.

more accuratelyweb 2.0 = fluff, terminology used by middle and upper management...
Also used by marketing departments.

A website designed to be driven by its member users from their own contents. Such a website is called a web 2.0 application.

What is important to understand is that web 2.0 is a mindset, a philosophy if you will . . .

• its not a software program you download
  • its not something that you would or could upgrade from 1.0
  • its not even a formalized standard or methodology
  • its not even about technology as some hard core folks argue its about openness
  • its not tangable, its not concrete

Its just a term, a label, a characterization, designation, a name. Really nothing more or nothing less. Depending on who you speak to, you will get varying perspectives (as you can see from the comments throughout this post). You will see it refer to technology in general, to specific technology only like RSS and AJAX. You'll find people talking about Web 2.0 being about social bookmarking or community driven applications like wikipedia.If, and I mean if, I was forced to jump on any of the Web 2.0 bandwagons out there, I would jump on the "Web 2.0 is about Open Source" but that has bigger consequences with profits much harder to realize since the focus is not on the development but on the user.Here is an article (2 years old mind you) that might shed some light on the matter:http://www.baychi.org/calendar/20050809/

Archived