VB.Net or C#?

Yahweh

Here's a debate that could rival "vi vs emacs" in sheer pointlessness, but is there any reason to prefer the VB.Net syntax over C#, or vice versa?At least for me, I just got a job as a web developer for a banking company that emphasizes heavily on VB.Net, so I'll be using that syntax more often. I usually use VB.Net when I'm writing websites and desktop applications, and I use C# when I'm writing games.I prefer the VB.Net syntax for a few reasons:- Braces are the devil. A "}" can me end if, end loop, end class, end namespace, etc. I don't like having to scroll up to find the matching "{" to find out what kind of code block I'm working in.- I can declare optional parameters in functions and constructors. C#, for whatever reason, doesn't retain support for optional parameters, so you have to write a bunch of overloaded functions that all call each other to get the same effect.- Looping syntax is much more intuitive. When you say "For I = 0 to 5", you unambiguously get the numbers 0 through 5. Its a little more difficult to visualize what you get when you use "for (i = 0; i < 5; i++)" rather than "for (i = 0; i <= 5; i++)".- Case insensitive variable names and functions. Seriously, why would "mycounter" be a completely different variable from "myCounter"?C# does have some syntactical advantages with long lines of code, especially long regexes, because you don't need an underscore to continue to the next line.

Archived