Helping Norman

Norman

Yes, I know it's German. I use it, sometimes! :)Maybe becouse it's the only word I know in German. :-/
Ach so. Ich verstehe. :)(Aha. I see/understand.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Wikipedia:

Headphones (also known as earphones, earbuds, stereophones, headsets, or by the slang term cans) are a pair of tiny loudspeakers....

• 1 month later...

Err... the first sentence is fine, but the second sentence is missing a subject (What is like an angel?), and the object and the end is incorrect. Something like "It is like an angel who wanted to fly, and now can with you and I" would be better, although that still doesn't quite sound right. Also, in terms of making sense, there is no logical link between the two sentences. Again, what is like an angel?

If this is a poetical form of some sort (it sure seems like it), I think that

Like an angel which wanted to fly and it now can with you and I
The overall sence is really lost, but that's probably just because we haven't seen the full text. The sentence itself seems OK though. At least if either this or Synook's suggestions are taken into account. Hmm... could it be that this is only one sentence?
True words have never been spoken like an angel, which wanted to fly and it now can with you and I.
Nah... that's even less clear.

Yes, I think we need more context in this situation. Is that part of a longer text?

No, that's just a single phrase. I don't know in english, but in italian.. we can use "Like an angel..", without a subject. So I've use it becouse I thought it was ok. :)However, this phrase isn't a part of a longer text. I was thinking.. I have put "I", at the end, becouse I do the part of the angel in that phrase. So I am the subject. It could be "Me/I, like an angel which wanted to fly and now can, with you".

"I was like an angel who wanted to fly. Now, with you, I can." is correct (I think).

what [does] "will you!" mean in that phrase?
It is a persuasive device, asking you "will you do it?" indicating irritation and impatience.

Another thing. I've find this: "Do your testing here, will you!", on vBulletin.com. Now, my question is: what "will you!" means in that phrase?
That right there, is what is called a "Question Tag" or "Tag Question", in this case confrontational (there should have been a question mark after, although the exclamation mark is also good for emphasis). Read more here (if you're interested):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_tag

I have never heard about 'Question Tag'/'Tag Question', as far I have always seen it (but I haven't asked myself what they were means). Ok great. Now I know it! :)

I have never heard about 'Question Tag'/'Tag Question', as far I have always seen it (but I haven't asked myself what they were means). Ok great. Now I know it! :)
Unless you've actually studied English Grammar (as opposed to just learning English in school), then I wouldn't expect you to have heard of it. It's not inherently interesting, nor is it very useful to know in the grand scheme of things. Mastering a language doesn't require having a label for every quirk. :)

I have this phrase to translate: "Sites with simple flat files does not need to worry about all of the extras.". Now.. what does 'flat files' means?Ah.. and what does "uptime" means? :)(I'm translating an article)

I have this phrase to translate: "Sites with simple flat files does not need to worry about all of the extras.". Now.. what does 'flat files' means?Ah.. and what does "uptime" means? :)(I'm translating an article)
There's an error here btw. It should be "do not", not "does not". "Does not" should only be used when you're speaking in third person singular (he/she/it)."Flat files" are files that are manually generated, read "as is" and are served from the web server "as is". HTML is a flat file, because you can read it in Notepad and it is exactly that text which is read by the browser. PHP is not a flat file, because while it's read in notepad, it's not the same content the browser recieves."Uptime" means the time a computer stays on (or in other words "up") without being turned off("down").

Thank you, boen robot. We're (me and FireHeart) trying to translate this article.. and sometimes we have find these words we can't translate in italian in anyway! For example, we have decided to leave 'uptime' as 'uptime'! :)

You could translate "uptime" to mean "total time online", if that has an Italian equivalent.

If you are talking about programming, most present-day languages are in fact based off C (there are a few that aren't like it at all though, namely assembly). But try learning latin, I'm studying it right now and its nothing like I've ever seen before.
and basic, which, if im not mistaken, is older than pc's. but c-based languages are definetely the easiest to learn. vb is another way of saying 'something from bill gates butt'. no offense to vb programmers :)

I think some basic-based languages are easier to learn that C-based ones... it really depends on the implementation, in my opinion. Assembly? Erk

Archived