ASP and VS not working, somebody help!

Sharkadder

Hi im currently using a wizard within visual studio to allow the user to type in some details and save it to a database.This all worked fine but however i wanted to add another field to the database and everytime i tested it nothing would work.the field i added was "domain name" and ive also tried adding other fields and still it wont work. On the website the field shows for the user to fill in but once the user submits the data all the data is then saved to the database apart from the "domain name" field.is this because i have added this other column on after it was originally created? anybody know why it wont save from the aspx form to the database?hope somebody can help i have tried everything anf that 1 field just will not work, i was lucky to get this far and so i cannot restart the whole thing because i wont remember half the stuff i didthanks hope somebody can help

is this because i have added this other column on after it was originally created? anybody know why it wont save from the aspx form to the database?
I don't have any knowledge on Visual Studio, but I would say yes to the first question. I would think you are using SQL? If so, look at the SQL code, and add the field/information you want it to add.

Wizards are the devil. Just ask any HR person who makes a living shredding resumes made with MS Word's "resume wizard", or ask any web designer who can spot and chuckle at web pages made in Dreamweaver's "personal website" wizard from a mile away.I can think of two solutions to your problem:1) If you writing code in classic ASP or using any Visual Studio earlier than 2005, then create your own database from scratch. You'll have a lot more control and be more intimately familiar with the structure of your tables when you go that route.2) If you're using Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Web Developer, then I presume you're writing code in ASP.net, and your using Visual Studio's built-in membership feature. In that case, take a look at the MSDN documentation on custom profile providers. You can add a new field to a profile by going into your web.config and adding a new property under your profile configuration section:

<profile>  <properties>	<add name="domainname" type="String" />  </properties></profile>

When you recompile your project, .Net will add that field into your database automatically.

Thanks for the comments you guys, i didnt realise in VCS you could edit the config file and its just what we needed, now i have 1 last questions.We have managed to set everything up now and allowing users to log in but 1 last problem is allowing more than 1 user to enable and create accounts. I'll briefly explain the process.1. The user registers an account with us.2. the administrator then takes down the username and password and creates a sub domain on the server and sets up the account.3. the user can then access there page or upload via ftp.Now my question is this, we currently have an admin page for administrative use which allows us to view peoples details and enable/disable accounts via the web browser.Because we have 2 admins is the any way in which if hes not here i could create the sub domain and the webspace even though the web server is around his house not mine?I can currently view all the files and folders and add, delete, copy etc. on the server and i can enable and disable accounts if needbe but the only thing i cannot do which he can is create subdomains and ftp names.Any ideas on how i would be able to do that?He suggested(the guy who has web server in his house) about maybe using remote desktop when hes away or something so i can do it but were not sure if that will work, any ideas anybody?thanks

thanks once again yahweh.he mentioned too me last night actually about dual booting with windows server 2003 because at the minute hes using xp pro and we would of had to switch to windows server anyways because only 1 user can be logged in at any 1 time in xp pro(admin users).ill let him know them details and we can check it out, looks just what we need.thanks once again.

Archived