Icons

S Murder

I know you can specify an icon for a web age by specifying <link rel="icon" href=""/>, but I think I've seen sites that have icons without a link tag for it, and I've also seen icons on non-HTML files in FF, and I was wondering if there's some other way to serve an icon to clients.

You can convert standard images into a favicon (favourite icon) which has a .ico file extension. Many sites allow you to do this so do a "favicon" search in Google and you'll find plenty. Once you have your .ico image upload it or put it into the root locations or folders that your web pages are stored.Most modern browsers should now detect the favicon and display it.Is this what your talking about?

No, but I think I found the answer to my question though. The way they do it without a link tag in the header is by placing favicon.ico in their root directory.

That's what I just said. Did you read my post?
Hmm, so it is. Sorry, I haven't been sleeping well lately. Somehow I read it but didn't quite understand it the first time around and thought you were writing about something else.

Archived