Did You Know..

ben3001

I found this website which actually blocks your whois information being shown.http://privacyprotect.org/Info from there site...

When you enable Privacy Protection on a domain name, we replace all your publicly visible contact details with alternate contact information so that when a WHOIS query is performed on the domain, an alternate mailing address, email address and phone number are displayed. You retain full ownership of the domain and have complete control of it.
I cant say i have used it but people who are conscious of there details being shown could look into this

I found this website which actually blocks your whois information being shown.http://privacyprotect.org/Info from there site...I cant say i have used it but people who are conscious of there details being shown could look into this
That has been around for a while but it costs extra, usually an extra $2-$5 per year.

err, there are a few things I have really strong opinions about - most everything else I am open to having my mind changed if I am convinced otherwise.But this, I have issues with. ICANN has always said that whois information is public domain. And when the internet was young, it was probably a good thing. I even understand all the reasons why they have always justified this logic. But times have changed. I think this approach is no longer good. I think your information should automatically be private. And if anyone wants to know who you are, it should have to be a formal request.Of course, people will cry wolf. The Network Solutions, The Privacy Protect and anyone else who charges that $5 (per domain name) a year for protection will cry that they loose that revenue. Well, if all you did was automatically protect everyone's identity, then yeah. But, if you work in modification to the system, then everyone still gets paid. Here is how.When I buy my domain name, there is a check box - buy private protection. Without this protection, the curious sole needs only to submit a form on the registrar's website to get the information e-mailed to the person. This, by ICANN, would be required to be tracked and also available to the domain owner. So that all inquires into my domain name are recorded. Its still "public" its just not so darn readily accessible. For those that charge for current protection, all they do is change their model to parallel what happens today. Their contact information with instructions on how to find the true identity of the domain would be sent in the email.Its the 6 or half a dozen, one just makes me (personally) feel much better than the other.[step down from soap box]

That has been around for a while but it costs extra, usually an extra $2-$5 per year.
My bad then ive just never come across it..I was reading through the site and found
Privacy Protection can be disabled/enabled at any time and is provided absolutely FREE.
I take it this is not the case then and domain providers charge for this.

Correct, the registrant charges you a fee. The registrant either uses their own interface or hires a third party provider like the one you cited. The ability to turn on and off your protection is free, once you've paid for it. In other words, once you've paid fort he protection service, you can turn it on and off as many times as you like while your protection is still valid - again all this depends on the registrant.

Archived