Family Trees

SillyBilly

A newbie to coding. I have done some tuts and have created about 7 pages. The pages contain mostly text, and links to the other pages. There is one page with thumbnail images linking to enlarged photos.I want to create a family tree with the parents at the top. The children will be underneath a horizontal line with vertical lines leading to each child and the spouse side-by-side, and another horizontal line with vertical lines leading to the grandchildren. There will be spaces between the children along the line, and I may need to have longer vertical lines for adjacent children to fit the grandchildren on the page without the need to scroll. One set of parents has 4 children and 7 grandchildren.My first idea is to use the <pre> tags and set it up like I did on my wordprocessor.Any suggestions would be gratiously appreciated.Bill

A complex work ! Complex here is that HTML can't draw any lines as you said , but if you want I have two way to do it :First , you could use tag <PRE> and simple keys show _ or | to ... draw it :) Second , (you had divided all areas for your family "s member clearly !!!) , then you use table with its width is very small and its height is very large to replace a vertical line and , vice versal for horizontal lines !!!A long and complex job , as I said :( Someone will help you better :)

I think this might be one of those times you should create an image in Photoshop or whateer your preference is, with all the pictures and lines drawn onto one image and then use ImageMapping to allow users to link to other sites when clicking on a particular picture.Do a search on Google for Image Mapping HTML and you should get plenty of hits that will help you learn how to do this and ensure that it is the best for your situation.

Yes, I don't think this is going to work with HTML. You'll have to create an image. And for image mapping, my free paint software has a plugin where you draw the map over an image, and then it'll make the code and give it to you. :)

This can be done in HTML although it is a bit complex for a beginner. I have setup many complex tournament trees using a couple of images and tables.A program like frontpage (shudders in horror) or dreamweaver will help you visually see this as you setup the tables.

This can be done in HTML although it is a bit complex for a beginner. I have setup many complex tournament trees using a couple of images and tables.A program like frontpage (shudders in horror) or dreamweaver will help you visually see this as you setup the tables.

Thanks for your suggestions. I may have given the wrong impression about the family tree. I have 6 sisters and one brother. Of course, there are many spouses children, and grandchildren in those families. Try getting that on one page! I decided to divide the family putting parents and children on one page and then a separate page for each child and his/her family.I used the <pre> tag and used my hardcopy as a model. It was not too involved other than changing from landscape to portrait. I have included the code, which I have not run through a validator. The site is for the family only.
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN"><html><head><title>Family Tree of the Parents</title><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mystyle.css"></head><body><center><h1> Carol Ann </h1><hr></center><pre>                                              <font color=#87cefa>Peter</font>       <font color=#ff00ff>Carol</font>                                                        <font color=#87cefa>James</font>    &  <font color=#ff00ff>Ann</font>                                    <font color=#87cefa>McCurdy</font>     <font color=#ff00ff>(Collier)</font>                                             |                      _______________________|__________________________                      |                      |                         |                      |                      |                         |             <font color=#87cefa>Michael</font>    <font color=#ff00ff>Joanne</font>             <font color=#87cefa>James</font>                   <font color=#ff00ff>Jacqueline</font>             <font color=#87cefa>Edmund</font>   & <font color=#ff00ff>Marie</font>              <font color=#87cefa>Gordon</font>                  <font color=#ff00ff>Margaret</font>             <font color=#87cefa>Penney</font>     <font color=#ff00ff>(McCurdy)</font>                      |                      |               _______________               |             |               |             |             <font color=#87cefa>Trevor</font>        <font color=#ff00ff>Jodi</font>             <font color=#87cefa>Louis</font>         <font color=#ff00ff>Christine</font></pre></body></html>

I posted a reply, but it did not seem to take. I hope this is not a duplicate.