.htaccess problem

vchris

One of my friend is having a problem with his server. When trying to view any page I get the following error:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@xxxxxxx.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.More information about this error may be available in the server error log.Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Error log message: [Fri Jun 15 09:34:53 2007] [alert] [client xxxxxxxxx] /xxxxxxxxx/.htaccess: IndexIgnore not allowed hereContent of .htaccess:
# -FrontPage-IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*<Limit GET POST>order deny,allowdeny from allallow from all</Limit><Limit PUT DELETE>order deny,allowdeny from all</Limit>AuthName www.xxxxxxxxx.comAuthUserFile xxxxxxxx/service.pwdAuthGroupFile xxxxxxxx/service.grp

I was told there was no change made to the .htaccess file. Any idea what it could be? Is this .htaccess file ok?

Hmm...this is too advanced .htaccess to me, but this

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

can't be right, can it..?Btw: I'm not very good in .htaccess, but it just doesn't seem right

I played a bit with it and found out that if I remove these lines it works:IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*<Limit GET POST>order deny,allowdeny from allallow from all</Limit><Limit PUT DELETE>order deny,allowdeny from all</Limit>If I remove the limits or the IndexIgnore it doesn't work. I absolutely have to remove both. know why?

The error message says that IndexIgnore is not allowed where it is, not that there is anything wrong with the syntax.From what I can find, IndexIgnore belongs to mod_autoindex. I'm not sure if module order is significant in .htaccess, but try moving the IndexIgnore line and the limit lines below the others.

Archived