Who mainly benefits from validation

Html

Nothing "needs" to be validated. People write valid sites to show other people that they care about standards on the internet, and in turn those sites will continue to be valid for several years with minimal maintenance to look good in all browsers.

As I've mentioned in another post, valid and clean code help search engine positioning and even performance. But, there is no one out there that can tell you what to do - so its a matter of pride and how you want other to view the work you do. If you throw together a crappy unvalidated site, one might not consider your products or services if the found a competitor who has taken the time to have the site built well. That typically shows how you will do what ever work you might be hired for. Its all about representation.

"Justsomeguy" I am aware of what standards are..."Skemcin", when talking about a simple page it's purpose wouldn't be financial gain. Though I do get what your talking about when concerning a financial motivated website.

"Justsomeguy" I am aware of what standards are..."Skemcin", when talking about a simple page it's purpose wouldn't be financial gain. Though I do get what your talking about when concerning a financial motivated website.
even though it is a simple page don't you want it to look and function the same in all browsers? Validating the code will ensure of this for now and into the future.

even still there may seem like no reason to but validating could reveal some errors that could effect search engine effectiveness. Again it is completely up tot he designer. Your situation may or may not call for a doctype but I always include one and validate the code. I like to be thorough like that.

Yeah, yeah. I understand. As for media clips, especially windows media that has complications with trying to validate. Xhtml 2.0 may have this fix for that, for all media mishaps with validation.

The question is not why would someone write valid code, or why would someone make a valid website, no matter what the content is. The question is why would someone take the time to make a website that is not valid? It doesn't take a considerable amount of time to make a site conform to specifications, so why would you make a site that is not valid? Why even do it? You can either take the time to do it right, or make the time to do it over. The decision is yours, I'm sure you know what the pros and cons of validation are.

Isn't that sort of obvious? Your not taught anything about validation whether at school or college. You only learn basic html 4.01. End of! Page or website done. Or some piece of trash software like frontpage. For those who look at validation and say well yeah...I notice nothing new from browser to browser, etc I won't bother?

Isn't that sort of obvious? Your not taught anything about validation whether at school or college. You only learn basic html 4.01. End of! Page or website done. Or some piece of trash software like frontpage. For those who look at validation and say well yeah...I notice nothing new from browser to browser, etc I won't bother?
We had to write XHTML strict code in college. Didn't matter if it still looked good, if it didn't valid we lost a lot of points.

Well here you'd have a unit on web design but not about validation at all! :) I guess every where will be different... :)
It is confusing why colleges and high schools are teach such old technology and ignoring the newer more mature versions.

It's confusing why colleges and high school even teach something so trivial as HTML is.
WOW - thats like giving kids a driver's license just because they turn 16. Trivial - teaching HTML is far from being a trivial exercise. It is the core of how anything is viewed through a web browser - how could you possibly skip or ignore this - please do elaborate . . . .

It is confusing why colleges and high schools are teach such old technology and ignoring the newer more mature versions.
It's because all are forced to teach what is accepted by the ministry of education. Some paid schools excluded.And it takes someone to suggest it and it takes time throughout the whole bureaucracy of the educational systems. That is, if I'm a teacher that only learned the old ways and didn't discovered the new ways myself, I wouldn't bother suggesting them to the ministry of education. If I'm new and eager teacher that's familiar with it all, I will, but until everything is reviewed and accepted and put into place, the technology will be outdated already. I mean, you have to have a textbook for the students and/or have enough teaching staff that claims to be aware of the new thing or at least be able to learn it themselves on the very least.XHTML 1.0 Transitional will be studied everywhere insted of (invalid) HTML when XHTML 2.0 is a reccomendation and Strict will be studied once 2.0 is actually supported (at least partially) by all browsers.

I suppose that was an advantage I had at college. To become a teacher at that college you needed to have a minimum of 5 years industry experience (wihich most had 10+) and the college kept very current (only a couple years behind the release of new technologies).

Some computer course even teach very little of web design, and only do the basic html tags and then use something like frontpage. :)
In cases like that students just paid to be taught how to NOT do it :)

Tell me about it. We learned something that looked a mix between HTML 3.2 and 4.01, plus some Microsoft-spesific elements. All caps letter TAGS, marquee, blink, several outdated attributes etc. I made a site in Frames, really hideous design, got an A. :) Then next semester I made a whole nother site with valid XHTML, CSS, and some fancy Javascript for stylesheet changing (colour themes). Again, got an A. Guess they didn't really have high standards. :)

And, if your using a free web host. Validation doesn't work too well, yeah sure validate via your pc. But the tag doesn't even work properly. Or even just a curious try out with someone's link it won't validate as valid.

Tell me about it. We learned something that looked a mix between HTML 3.2 and 4.01, plus some Microsoft-spesific elements. All caps letter TAGS, marquee, blink, several outdated attributes etc. I made a site in Frames, really hideous design, got an A. :) Then next semester I made a whole nother site with valid XHTML, CSS, and some fancy Javascript for stylesheet changing (colour themes). Again, got an A. Guess they didn't really have high standards. :)
Thats similar for my a level in the uk for ict. Everyone had to make websites for there work. Everyone was taught to do so using dreamweavers frames etc. But they should of been taught the correct way. I although I am not the best decided to use css/divs etc and got a A for whilst others also recieve similar marks due to the fact the teacher himself did not know how to teach it.I think thats pretty bad! if they were to go out into the big world and produce a professional site in frames for my company (if i had one) i'd tell them to go else where!!

I think thats pretty bad! if they were to go out into the big world and produce a professional site in frames for my company (if i had one) i'd tell them to go else where!!
Agree. Even people that don't know HTML agree frames look ugly. Sure, table based layouts, heavy image maps, spacer gifs, and many more things that are considered bad practices are OK for those same people, but no one can really blame them. But frames... yuk.

Thats similar for my a level in the uk for ict. Everyone had to make websites for there work. Everyone was taught to do so using dreamweavers frames etc. But they should of been taught the correct way. I although I am not the best decided to use css/divs etc and got a A for whilst others also recieve similar marks due to the fact the teacher himself did not know how to teach it.I think thats pretty bad! if they were to go out into the big world and produce a professional site in frames for my company (if i had one) i'd tell them to go else where!!
For me it was Microsoft Publisher using office 97. This was about two-three years ago.

Archived