Windows Media Player 11 and MP3s

iyeru42

This is a flash related problem, don't move it.I have a problem where when I open an MP3 file with Windows Media Player 11, Flash 8 is no longer able to import those MP3s. Is there a workaround to get past this? I've tried closing Windows Media Player and then importing, but it won't work.

Is there a workaround to get past this?
Don't open them with Windows Media Player.Microsoft isn't content with forcing us to develop for their substandard browser, they have to crap on your picnic too. I have Flash 8 installed, if you can send me a link to a file in question I'll see if I can import it over here (don't worry, I use Winamp). But if WMP is going to actually modify a file when you open it (probably trying to update some ID3 information), then the only solution is not to open it with WMP.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, WAV is an easy format but its totally uncompressed. WAV files are PCM files, an MP3 file is a compressed PCM file, so it's just like a WAV but smaller. So forcing your users to download WAVs is going to make your site a lot slower. It's the same as if you tried to use BMP or TIFF images instead of JPEG.

You might want to have 2 different versions, 1 with WAV and 1 with MP3 and see if the file size changes. I'm not sure if Flash will compress audio, I know it will compress the movie itself but I'm not sure if it will be able to compress a WAV with the same quality that MP3 gets.

Archived