Object variable names

justsomeguy

I have a situation where I need to determine the instantiated variable name of an object. I have several objects set up, all just generic objects, and I've got a recursive function that is going through the collection of objects and examining each one. All objects are properties of a root object called cmi, here are a couple examples:cmi.core.score.mincmi.core.total_timecmi.core.lesson_modecmi.core.exitcmi.core.session_timecmi.suspend_datacmi.launch_dataSome of these are objects and others are scalar values (cmi.core.score is an object, cmi.core.score.min is a scalar value, a property). I've got a function where initially I pass the entire cmi object, and the function goes through the properties on that object and checks each one, and recurses for child objects. I'm looking for a way for this function to identify, for example, that the current thing it is looking at is cmi.core.score.raw, or cmi.suspend_data, or whatever the specific object or property is. I've looked into the standard properties that objects have but I don't see something that fits. Has anyone used something like this before?

Have you looked at the for[each] function?

var cmi = [];cmi.suspend_data = "somevalue";cmi.launch_data = "test";for(x in cmi){   alert(x + " = " + cmi[x]);}

Yeah, I've seen that. But with the recursion, if the parent object is cmi.core.score.min and I'm looking at min, x is just min, it's not cmi.core.score.min. I'll probably just have to pass along the full name with the function.

Archived