Fire and IE 6+

holmedwa04

Hi,I currently try to make sure that my website works in both IE6+ and Firefox, however, my feedback form doesnt seem to by liked on Firefox. I am NOT looking to make at validate at the moment, I would just like it to run properly on Fire and IE6+.Here is the link to the page:http://home2.btconnect.com/shapemakingclub/feedback.htmlAnd here is the coding that I have used...

<html><head><title>Feedback</title><meta name="keywords" content=""/></head><LINK rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css"><body bgcolor="#000066" link="blue" vlink="blue"><font size="3"><font face="Arial"><font color="black"><center><table border="0" cellpadding="100" cellspacing="0" width="85%" bordercolor="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><tr><td><BR><font size="5"> <center><b><u>Feedback</u></b><BR><BR></center><font size="2">If you would like to give feedback on Shape Making Club please ensure that you have an account setup with Outlook or Outlook Express, if so please continue by following instructions belowIf you would like to add feedback, please fill in all of the fields below, and click submit.<BR><BR>Please note that meaningless, worthless, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law, spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are all inappropriate to this feedback.<BR><BR><HR><BR>Its true, we really do care about your thoughts and feelings and so this is why this feedback page has been provided.  When you work so closely to your website, coding it and everything, it is sometimes hard to see problems that are completely obviously to most viewers.  And so this feedback page has been provided for you to help me help you, by improving the site.<BR><BR>So first of all just a few simple questions, about how you came across our site, how often you visit etc.  But before we do that, just a few simple rules to follow, number one, dont ask questions on the feedback form, it is provided to help improve the site, questions should be directed to the contact us button on the homepage or at the bottom of every page, or otherwise in this case <a href="mailto:shapemakingclub@btconnect.com">here!</a>  Be constructive, dont just critise the site, send a worthy and helpful responce, this way I can provide you, with a better service.<BR><BR>Ok, were away, just follow the questions through, answering them as acurately as you can and then there is a comments box at the bottom, just in case I have missed anything out!<BR><BR><FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="../cgi-bin/feedback.cgi"><fieldset style="padding: 10px; border: #000066 solid 3px;"><legend><b>1: Personal Information</b></legend><BR><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" border="0"><tr><td width="50%"><label for="yourname">Name / Nickname:</label></td><td><input type="text" name="yourname" id="yourname" /></td></tr><tr><td><label for="youraddress">Your Email Address:</label></td><td><input type="text" name="youraddress" id="youraddress" /></td></tr></tr></table></fieldset><BR><fieldset style="padding: 10px; border: #000066 solid 3px;"><legend><b>2: How Did You Find Us?</b></legend><BR>Ok, so you obviously found us, otherwise you wouldn't be reading the feedback form, so please select one of the following:<BR><BR><select name="howdidyoufindus"><BR><BR><option selected>Search Engine, see below<option>A friend<option>A signature on a forum, see below<option>Other</select><BR><BR>Search Engine, please type below:<BR><BR><input type="text" name="searchengine" size="34"><BR><BR>A signature on a forum, please select:<BR><BR><input type="radio" name="forumsignature" value="W3Schools" id="wschools"> <label for="wschools"> W3Schools Forum</label><BR><input type="radio" name="forumsignature" value="Hogwarts Forum" id="hogforum"> <label for="hogforum"> Hogwarts Forum</label><BR><input type="radio" name="forumsignature" value="Computer Mouth Forum" id="compmouth"> <label for="compmouth"> Computer Mouth Forum</label><BR></fieldset><BR><fieldset style="padding: 10px; border: #000066 solid 3px;"><legend><b>3: Your Valued Opinion</b></legend><BR>Now it is time for you to tell us what you think of Shape Making Club website on a scale of one to five, so here goes.<BR><BR><input type="radio" name="scale" value="1. Excellent, can't fault it" id="1"> <label for="1">1. Excellent, can't fault it</label><BR><input type="radio" name="scale" value="2. Its good, but there are slight problems" id="2"> <label for="2">2. Its good, but there are slight problems</label><BR><input type="radio" name="scale" value="3. Average" id="3"> <label for="3">3. Average</label><BR><input type="radio" name="scale" value="4. Not really very good" id="4"> <label for="4">4. Not really very good</label><BR><input type="radio" name="scale" value="5. I don't even know why I am filling out this form" id="5"> <label for="5">5. I don't even know why I am filling out this form</label><BR></fieldset><BR><fieldset style="padding: 10px; border: #000066 solid 3px;"><legend><b>4: Your Comments</b></legend><BR>So now, what do you think about the site, in your own words, what is it that <b>you</b> want to say?  Has it been useful?  Etc.<BR><BR><center><TEXTAREA NAME="feedback" ROWS="9" COLS="80" style="font-family: arial;" onfocus="if (this.value=='Add Your Comments Here.') {this.value='';}" onblur="if (this.value=='') {this.value='Add Your Comments Here.';}">Add Your Comments Here.</TEXTAREA></center><BR>Now, it is time to get negative, go on, constuctive criticism is welcomed.<BR><BR><center><TEXTAREA NAME="constructivecriticism" ROWS="6" COLS="80" style="font-family: arial;" onfocus="if (this.value=='Im sure there is something that you dont like.') {this.value='';}" onblur="if (this.value=='') {this.value='Im sure there is something that you dont like.';}">Im sure there is something that you dont like.</TEXTAREA></center></fieldset><BR><fieldset style="padding: 10px; border: #000066 solid 3px;"><legend><b>5: Visits to the Site</b></legend><BR>Finally, just before you click submit, please spend a little more of your time by telling me how often you visit this site?<BR><BR><input type="radio" name="visitsite" value="Daily" id="6"> <label for="6"> Daily</label><BR><input type="radio" name="visitsite" value="Once a Week" id="7"> <label for="7"> Once a Week</label><BR><input type="radio" name="visitsite" value="Once a Month" id="8"> <label for="8"> Once a Month</label><BR><input type="radio" name="visitsite" value="Less Than Once a Month" id="9"> <label for="9"> Less Than Once a Month</label><BR><input type="radio" name="visitsite" value="This is my First Visit" id="10"> <label for="10"> This is my First Visit</label><BR></fieldset><BR><fieldset style="padding: 10px; border: #000066 solid 3px;"><legend><b>6: Submission</b></legend><center><BR><INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Submit" onclick="window.location='thankyouf.html';">   <INPUT TYPE="reset" VALUE="Reset"></center></fieldset><BR>If your browser starts giving you grief, then just send on your <a href="mailto:shapemakingclub@btconnect.com?subject=Feedback">comments</a>. Thanks.<p style="background: #fcfbff; border: 1px dashed silver; padding: 8px; font-family: Arial"><em>Depressingly Necessary Privacy Policy:</em><br />Your privacy is always important and because we know it is so important any of your details will never be given out to any third parties or sold to anyone, for more information on this matter please visit our <a href="privacypolicy.html">Privacy Policy</a>.</p><BR><center><BR><form> <input type="Button" value="Back" onclick="history.back()"> </form><BR>______________________________________________________<BR><font size=1>Edward Holmes, SMC @ CCMS, <a href="mailto:shapemakingclub@btconnect.com">shapemakingclub@btconnect.com</a></center></td></tr></table></center></body></html>

First of all, move your stylesheet into the head:

</head><LINK rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css"><body bgcolor="#000066" link="blue" vlink="blue">

Valid or not, that's just wrong. You are also missing a closing </form> tag for the main form. Other then that, it makes it a little difficult to troubleshoot with all the validation errors. There are quite a few errors for missing closing tags and tags in the wrong place that are probably contributing to the problem.

• 1 month later...

Validate your page, like justsomeguy said, those errors are probably contributing to your problem. Use <p> tags for your sentences. Instead of using <br> tags to bring down single-text lines to the next line, use <div>; take out all the <br> tags. Here's a little something to get you started:

<fieldset style="padding: 10px; border: #000066 solid 3px;">  <legend><b>1: Personal Information</b></legend>  <div>Name / Nickname:    <input type="text" name="yourname" id="yourname" /></div>  <div>Your Email Address: <input type="text" name="youraddress" id="youraddress" /></div></fieldset>

might want to add a Document Type Declaration which keeps IE out of Quirks mode, too... just a thought. :)try this one:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Archived