"Command Prompt" - What is this?

Norman

if you are using windows if you go to Start->Run and type "command" it will display a Commmand Prompt. It is just a window that lets you type Windows and DOS commands. Linux traditionally has been mostly command line (very little "point and click" like Windows) but there are some nice GUI Linux distros out there like Unbuntu.

Oh, ok. Is not like the cmd.exe?However, for example, in a CMS installation.. it say this:

Test MySQL is installed and running by opening a command prompt and entering: 'mysql -u root -p'
But when I do that, in the command.com, it say ""MYSQL" is not recognised like a internal or esternal command, like an executable program, or like a batch file". And I have MySQL installed with EasyPHP..

cmd and command are the same thing. Some of the "all-in-one" installations keep things seperate from the OS in it's own little bubble. That could be why you can't access it. JSAS was like that

You need to switch to the MySQL folder before you run that command. Unless you have the MySQL folder in the path environment variable for Windows, you won't be able to automatically run the MySQL programs from any location, you need to change to the folder that contains the programs and then use the command.

Oh, ok. Is not like the cmd.exe?However, for example, in a CMS installation.. it say this:But when I do that, in the command.com, it say ""MYSQL" is not recognised like a internal or esternal command, like an executable program, or like a batch file". And I have MySQL installed with EasyPHP..
The reason is that "mysql" actually points to the mysql executable file which might not be in that folder.type "cd path/to/the/EasyPHP/folder/that/contains/the/mysql/executable" before you do that command.You can enable it from any place (so that you don't need "cd") by placing the folder in which that executable is as part of the PATH environment variable. To do that, click on My Computer with the right mouse button and select "Properties". From the new window select the "Advanced" tab and click the "Environment Variables". On "System variables" find the one that says "Path" and "Edit" it. Add a ";path/to/the/EasyPHP/folder/that/contains/the/mysql/executable" at the end. the ";" is only used as a separator between paths.Oh and btw, it's actually the same as "cmd.exe". The only difference is that "cmd.exe" is... nicer. I'd advise you to use that instead of command.com.[edit]Ahhh!!! Crap! Half an hour I can't post a reply ONLY in this topic and now that reply is not even needed.[/edit]

Thank you guys. By chainging that setting as suggested by boen robot, it works. However now it ask me the mysql password.. and I don't have it! :)Where can I find it?

Thank you guys. By chainging that setting as suggested by boen robot, it works. However now it ask me the mysql password.. and I don't have it! :)Where can I find it?
I think by default such packages ship MySQL without a password. If there is one, you'll need to look at EasyPHP's documentation for it.

Archived