DNS and Registration

Sharkadder

Hi me and a friend currently have our own web server set up using windows server 2003.We are doing web hosting online and at the minute is a user wishes to purchase a domain name they have to type the name they want in an input box and then i buy it from my account on a domain name website, of course ill manage all the DNS etc.My question is this:currently users can search for a free domain name on our website but no way of purchasing or managing the name through our website.I heard something about ICANN or something but im not sure, basically id just like to know where i go to get information/code on allowing people to purchase domain names through us instead of us purchasing them for the user once they sign up. Also id like to offer the user Total DNS control like i alreeady can do from a 3rd party website.thanks, any info is apprechiated

You'll have to figure out something with whomever from you buy the domain names. ICANN are sort of the top DNS authority. That is, they posses the 6 top DNS servers (one for each continent). You probably won't make anything with them though. There's big money involved as far as I'm aware. You have a much cleaner shot at a DNS register you know. Ask them if they have a resellers' plan and what sort of APIs they provide for automation's sake.

sorry about the delayed reply.Thanks for that, i wasnt sure how it worked or knew that big money was involved in the process, ill contact the people i purchase my domain names off and see if they will let me use there service or resell the control panel they use onto me.I was just going to create a form myself and edit the values myself on the website in which i purchase the names from, ok it may take a while to go through as i have to be online to do it but as you say id much rather have a proper automated system.thanks for the help, i shall see what they say.

Archived