Things To Delete On Sight

Yahweh

To improve the signal to noise ratio on this forum, here is a brief list of things to delete on sight:- Any threads with the phrases "help me" or "please help me" in the title- Any thread titles that can be matched with the regex "help(!{2,})"- Any posts that says "I have an error in my code, [insert ambiguous error message], how do I fix it?" without corresponding sourcecode.- More than 10 lines of sourcecode that does not appear in the CODE tag || more the 3 lines of PHP outside of code tags.- Any post asking for replies by email rather than in the forum.- Any post asking for something absurd like "please give me the full source of MP3.com".- All posts in the VBScript forum. Clientside VBScript is dead.Addendum:If you choose to improve the signal to noise ratio as I've suggested above, also be sure to delete the "hey! why was my post deleted" posts.

Thank you for the input. Although some of the suggestions might not be able to implemented the manor you suggest, the moderator team will review your suggestions as well as other signal to noise maintenance controls we currently have in place.

I know, I just get a little annoyed when someone chooses to post a thread and immediately sends me a PM with a link to it, apparently not knowing that I read all the threads anyway (in certain forums) and that making me read the PM is just wasting time. Not to mention that I purposely save those topics for the end, after I've read everything else.But yeah, it was a joke. I'll just continue to passive-aggressively deal with it on my own.

The first, and consequently the second message has already been suggested in this topic. I must say however that I'm partially on the "less descriptive topics are more read" side. Really, such topics are usually reviewed by everyone, as they all want to tell you "WTF is this stupid title?" and at that point, they might end up actually answering your question(s).About 3 and 4, there are forum rules about it, but I guess if moderators start deleting it, people might get the wrong impression. Fixing it is not a solution either as they may get lazy and just think "Nah... the mods will fix it". The only solution I could think of is mods PM-ing such users to fix their codes by using either "code" or "codebox" around it.About 5, it would probably be better for mods to remove the "answer me at *email*" line when such exists and/or PM the user to monitor the topic (ideally telling him/her how) if (s)he doesn't want to regularly check out the forum. A rule for not requesting help by email should be created (if it doesn't exist... I haven't checked out those rules in quite a time now).About 6, that's newbish talk. We should be tolerant to newbies. I mean, no one is born educated, right? Just telling them how stupid is this and why should be enough.About 7, I guess you're sort of right. It seems however there are quite a few topics in that forum already, so there is some sort of interest. I guess an ideal solution would be to merge it with the JS forum and rename the JS forum to JS/VB accordingly.

Can we set it up so that any time someone sends me a PM with a link to a thread, that thread gets deleted? That would be cool.
Or if it was possible to match PMs against a certain regular expression and automatically delete them (the PMs) if they match it :) . That would save you time (as you could match all URLs from this forum) AND not be malicios in any way :) .
Not to mention that I purposely save those topics for the end, after I've read everything else.
I sometimes do that too.But really, aren't you more annoyed when you're PMed to solve a (simple) issue? I know I am... when it's about XSLT anyway. I like to keep everything I could public for the sake of archiving (to later point others to those topics), and also because people often tend not to give enough information about what their issue is. Besides, the forum is a big place, and my PM box is not.

- Any threads with the phrases "help me" or "please help me" in the title- Any thread titles that can be matched with the regex "help(!{2,})"
If possible, it would refuse the creation of such thread with a message:Please, use a short, descriptive summary of your problem, and don't use non-descriptive words such as "help me", "need help", "urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".Another possibility: Automatically sending a PM to the thread author, so that he modifies the title of his thread himself.The first solution is the better, if it's possible.

If possible, it would refuse the creation of such thread with a message:Please, use a short, descriptive summary of your problem, and don't use non-descriptive words such as "help me", "need help", "urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".Another possibility: Automatically sending a PM to the thread author, so that he modifies the title of his thread himself.The first solution is the better, if it's possible.
Not in the current version of IPB I think.

Archived