php hash

gsmith

Is there a version of php and older that doesn't have the hash() function in it?I'm trying to hash passwords using:$pssword=hash('sha1','$_POST["password"]');But it says I'm calling an undefined function when I run it. There's PHP version 4.3.8 on the server I'm working with.

Strange line to put in the documentation for hash(),

(no version information, might be only in CVS)
?might? :) At least your options have better version info:sha1(), md5()What I can tell you is that I'm using 4.3.7 on XP and md5() and sha1() both work.The hash() does not.You'll want to remove the single quotes : $pssword = sha1('$_POST["password"]');Good Luck,

Ok, I used sha1 as the function instead of hash - and it worked.Now I'm having trouble logging on though. Am I correct that if I sha1() the same word/phrase/etc. I'll get the same hexadecimal output every time? I hope that's correct, because then I'm on the right track...I'm also frustrated becuase I don't understand why what I've done isn't working! :)

Maybe something about your test of values.You could throw in some 'echo' statements for debuggin'.

<?phpif(isset($_POST['pw'])) {  $user = 'gsmith';  $topsecret = "wwwdot";    if($_POST['user'] == $user && sha1($_POST['pw']) == sha1($topsecret))      echo "passed";      else      echo "failed";}?><form method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">    User: <input type="text" name="user" value="gsmith"><br>    Password: <input type="text" name="pw" value="wwwdot"><br>    <input type="submit"></form>