Creating a menu

Guest chummel

Guest chummel

Hi,I'm currently designing a website for my sports team. I've designed a couple of sites in HTML before, and know most of the basics for a basic site.However, I can't determine how best to solve this issue.I will have a menu with links to other pages in my site. However, I want to design it so, that if I make a change to the menu links/design/graphics/etc, I only want to have to change one "common" menu, rather than having to make the same changes across all pages.Now, I've had some basic experience with CSS - mainly just for keeping fonts, sizes, colours etc consistent across my entire site. So in my mind this menu issue is similar, but in regards to content rather than formatting.I know I could do this easily with Frames, but I don't want to use them :( - I'm sure there is a good and simple solution - any help would be extremely greatfully recieved! :)(ps... if you don't quite understand what I mean, please tell me, I will try and do a better job of explaining it :) )

Aha... I think what you are looking for is SSI, or Server Side Includes. Server side includes include a text file from one location in the directory into a server parsed page before it is sent to your browser (I think that is how it works...). You do that by using this code:

<!--#include file="filename.html"-->

The catch is you need ssi enabled on your page. Ask your webhost if it is enabled and/or if it is allowed. If your host runs on Linux or Apache it should allow you to acccess the .htaccess file. If you can you add this code:

AddType text/html .shtmlAddHandler server-parsed .htmlAddHandler server-parsed .shtmlOptions Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes

I hope this works for you... :)

• 4 months later...