can't receive mail from PHP mail(). Pls recommend a good web server

jane

I am learning PHP dynamic feature.I downloaded a free SMTP server from http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html. After filling out the form of contact.php ( an online form I made), I hit submit. The mail got through with no warning. But I could not receive the mail in my yahoo mailbox.Could anyone please recommend a good remote server that I can test the php mail(), or any good SMTP server?If I use a remote server, do I need to change the php.ini's "SMTP=localhost" to sth. else?Any input is greatly appreciated.

Check with something other then Yahoo. Yahoo and Hotmail are notorious for sending mail sent through PHP to a spam or trash folder. Check with a different email account until you finish testing, then you can do whatever is necessary to have Yahoo save it. But the first thing to figure out is if Yahoo is trashing the mail or if it isn't being sent in the first place.

Thank you for your response. I tried comcast.net account. Still, cannot get mail from the online form submitted by php mail(). So I think I need to upload the files to a remote server to test it. I don't think the local SMTP server I downloaded works.

Your ISP might be blocking SMTP traffic. Many home ISPs block outgoing SMTP traffic to try and stop people from operating spam servers in their homes, so you might be getting blocked there too. I always test my email scripts with a server online that is known to be working, when I'm testing something like that I want the code to be the only variable, I don't want to wonder if the mail server is working, or if a firewall somewhere is blocking the mail, or whatever. So if you have a remote server to test on it would probably be better then trying to troubleshoot a mail server at home.

Thank you very much. I don't have a remote server yet. I saw there are so many web hosting servers advertising online. Would you please recommend a good one so that I can have a try? Thanks.

Archived