RDF Gateway from Intellidimension

watermelon

Hi... (I actually also posted this topic in Web Services thread, because I don't know which thread is the right one to post this kind of topic.)I need immediate help here. My lecturer assigned me to do a project relating to semantic web, especially semantic data integration. Until today, I still have no idea what kind of data to be integrated, as I am currently having very little experience in semantic web. unsure.gif This assignment is very important in my study here.He wanted me to use RDF Gateway from Intellidimension as platform for creating the application. Has any of you ever use it? Would you please give me any suggestions what application i should create?Thank you so much for your help.... I owe you, people...-Watermelon-

I have never used this software.As for an application you may create... I don't know for sure. In any case, it will require external sources to use RDF and since there aren't much that do that, you'll probably need to create those too.You could for example an application that allows the user to input the serial number of a hardware (say, a laptop) and then gather all information about the laptop, such as manufacturer, model, drivers, BIOS, manual, spec, etc.The same could be done for a car, ZIP code, books, and pretty much anything else. The point is the application needs to fetch the information from an external source which may get its information from another source and so on.

I guess so. I still have a lot to rearn myself. I'm actually surprised they are teaching about the semantic web already. I mean, it's a very young and not stable concept yet at this point.There are many fantastic applications that can be created even without it, as long as you have enough imagination and skills in a certain Server Side Scripting Language (S3L) of choice. That's actually the biggest problem today. That it's only about one S3L of choice, not everyone. And that's what all of those languages at W3C are trying to solve.There are two languages that are very close to that even without the help of SPARQL which is not even a recommendation yet BTW. I'm talking about Web Services and all languages related to them (SOAP and WSDL being the two most important) and XProc (still a WD).XProc will ease a lot the creation of sole applications by providing common components and extension framework, thus allowing one application to more easily migrate from one S3L to another.Web Services are what really starts the semantic web today. An application can send a request to an application (regardless of whether it's on the same server or not) written in whatever language and fetch the result from that application back. That way, all S3Ls and their abilities are brought together. The problem is this is more aimed at procedures, rather then databases sort of thing. XPath and XQuery allow the processing of remote files, but doing the things SPARQL is supposed to do is not that easy in them as they are more... how should I put it... content centric.

I'm actually surprised they are teaching about the semantic web already. I mean, it's a very young and not stable concept yet at this point.
As a matter of fact, Semantic Web is not taught here yet. Officially. But some lecturers include this topic in Web Programming classes.This project is actually for my final assignment in this school. My lecturer said that semantic web technology is a very interesting topic for final papers. Only a few students here whose final papers are about semantic. None of them is about integration. That's why my lecturer advised me to study semantic integration.Fortunately, the more i read about semantic web, the more it entices me...

As a matter of fact, Semantic Web is not taught here yet. Officially. But some lecturers include this topic in Web Programming classes.
I'm quite pleased to learn some lecturers are taking initiative. That's a very good thing to read in those times where web development evolves a lot faster then educational systems.
This project is actually for my final assignment in this school. My lecturer said that semantic web technology is a very interesting topic for final papers.
It truly is
Only a few students here whose final papers are about semantic.
Wow. You must be pretty good then if you're among the "chosen ones". Congratulations :) .
None of them is about integration. That's why my lecturer advised me to study semantic integration.
And that makes you an even better student, as integration is the key of the future of the semantic web, and thus, of the future of the web as a whole. If you can pull that off, you've pulled of the entire web forward :) .
Fortunately, the more i read about semantic web, the more it entices me...
Good. Then even if you don't complete your task, your lecturer can be happy to have tought a person that would think about the future just as well as the present. What grade will you get at such point is another question though :) .

Hehehehe... :) :) :)I'm drowned with compliments here... But i'm not THAT good...

Wow. You must be pretty good then if you're among the "chosen ones". Congratulations
It's just because web programming is the only thing I can do... I don't know much about desktop programming.And, "Why do we do anything unless we are willing to go further than anyone else?" :blink::blink::):)

Hey, I think I just found for you the perfect assignment. A FOAF reader. That is, a person inserts a name, and the application draws a graphics of it's relationships based on gathered FOAF data. Something like foafnut I mean. It would be really nice and useful, especially if the generated graphic could be viewed with SVG viewers other then Adobe SVG Viewer. If you pull that off, I'll be sure to make my own FOAF file :) .

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, I think I just found for you the perfect assignment. A FOAF reader. That is, a person inserts a name, and the application draws a graphics of it's relationships based on gathered FOAF data. Something like foafnut I mean. It would be really nice and useful, especially if the generated graphic could be viewed with SVG viewers other then Adobe SVG Viewer. If you pull that off, I'll be sure to make my own FOAF file :) .
Hi, thank you so much for the idea. But i'm not sure i can do that... I've never woked with SVG before :) But thank you anyway...

Well, do you know how to generate a raster image (JPG, PNG, etc.) with any S3L? You could also do that instead of an SVG graphic.Or if you could make a nicer FOAF explorer then the existing ones (and by that I mean to make some show&hide-ings, tree like structures, etc.), that would be good as well.

Archived