W3S Forum Style

Norman

Plus, if you get carried away with the theme, which many people tend to do once they start looking at the code, updates cn get tricky if too much is tweaked as opposed to just strictly sticking to a swapping the design elements.

This has been an on going discussion. The problem mostly is that only the admins can change this and also no one has stepped and created a skin.
Oh, ok, I've understand.
Plus, if you get carried away with the theme, which many people tend to do once they start looking at the code, updates cn get tricky if too much is tweaked as opposed to just strictly sticking to a swapping the design elements.
I have completely no understand this! asd.gif

you know if you have Firefox and the Webdevloper plugin, you can just change the style yourself. The extension is at: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60note: this will only make it look different on that browser on that computer which you made the changes... unless you upload a file from someone else.

I have completely no understand this! asd.gif
IPB, the forum board, the application which allows you to enter/edit posts, have PMs, etc.That application gets updated as every normal one. Theese updates often include new features or reorganization of the existing ones such as grouping the topic options under a single button at the top right corner of the topic.When you make changes to the skin, you'll likely also have to change some of the HTML code too. IPB allows you to do that. Unfortunatly, because new versions reorganize new controls or add new ones as said above, this means they also use a new HTML code.So, when you create a template for version 2.0.0 and version 2.1.0 comes out, your skin will look weird at best (having terrible usability consequences at worst), so you'll have to take some extra time to update your skin and HTML for the new version.Since W3Schools' admins are not that active on the forums, this proves to be a problem, as they are the only ones that could edit the template.

Thanks, boen_robot. Ok.. yes, is the same with all the boards (I have the same problem with my forum). But.. I don't meant change the code.. I meant change the colours of the board.. maybe in relation with the W3S' homepage colours. And if you change colours, at least as far as vBulletin, when you update the board, you will have nothing else to fix.

Many of the things you see though are images, not plain colors. So when you change for example the color of the bar at the top (which says "My Controls · View New Posts · My Assistant · My Friends · 0 New Messages"), it will look odd if the next version happens to use images at that spot.The main background color is probably the only thing that could be changed and still make sence from one version to another. Still, every time IPB upgrades, the admins will have to go to the admin panel and update the template, so that doesn't make much difference.

Yes? I have never used IPB, so I'm not very familiar with it. :)And so.. c'mon, I would like to see a grey background! :)No, seriously, I think it would be more relaxant for our eyes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived