An alternative to Google Maps

Norman

I think - too much advertising. I couldn't bring myself to get past the advertising to play with the maps.
Yes, that's a bad thing.
Why an alternative to google maps? Google maps is god!
I know, but I like to surf the web for find othe resources! :)
Way too much advertising, and when I want a map I'm not going to open a browser and type www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm, I'm going to type maps.google.com.
Browsers have invented the bookmarks system. :)

google is the best, did you know that once you use it to plot a route, you can drag the route to use other/alternate streets - thats pretty cool.

google is the best, did you know that once you use it to plot a route, you can drag the route to use other/alternate streets - thats pretty cool.
Yup noticed that. They even added street level view for certain cities.

I remember one from Google maps it where it tells you go to the docks in New York and then jump in the water and swim to England. I also remember one from MSN maps between two places I believe in Norway, the towns are only like 100km apart or something. The directions from MSN said to take a ferry to England, then take a train to France, then up through Belgium, Holland, and Denmark, then a ferry over to Finland, drive through Sweden and finally get back to the other town in Norway.

It actually insists on swimming 3462 miles across the Atlantic Ocean.
Brilliant. Especially considering that they coded into it that you would have to "swim" rather than fly or take a ship.

This is not really an 'easter egg' as such but a bug that caused 200 u-turns.Quite frankly I don't know which will drive you more insane, an Atlantic swim or maybea couple hundred u-turns.[EDIT] Sorry, my bad! That should be enough, the map is not really that important in this case anyway! Click for full size.google-uturns-map.gif

I think it is toooo cluttered

1.USe Better Icons2. Get Rid of the Ads3. USe the logo as a watermark4. Lighter colors

1.USe Better Icons2. Get Rid of the Ads3. USe the logo as a watermark4. Lighter colors
1. Yes there could be some nicer icons.2. What ads? I don't see any ads.3. Wouldn't placing the google logo as a watermark over the map just make it harder to read?4. Other than the map itself the majority of the screen is white. The map is using common road map colors and icons, they probably did this to make it familiar to users.Just my opinion.

Guest Chris R
Speaking of which here's one. :) It actually insists on swimming 3462 miles across the Atlantic Ocean.google-maps-swimming.png
I am so lost I try to do it for my self but no idea what i am doing. trying to get a map for all my players on it. do not know where to start adding everything on it. thanks Chris

I think the other thing I would add about Google Maps is that it is an insanely horrible resource hog. Find some place on the planet, load up the satellite images, and play around with dragging the maps for a few minutes.At 1600x1200, after five minutes of dragging the satellite images around and zooming in and out with my mouse wheel, Firefox locks up. When I pull up the Task Manager in Windows, Firefox is using...Brace yourself...1,900,000 K of memory. Almost 2 gigs!

Archived