How do you pronounce these terms?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. SQL

• "ess queue ell"
    • "see quill"
  2. 2. data

• "day tuh"
    • "dat uh"

Oh it's funny! It's also good to know that i am in the majority.As i know (hope it's right), the founder for SQL are suggesting us to pronounce SQL as "SEQUEL". i'd like to say as "SEQUEL" too. Yet the biggest problem is it will have a confusion with the company "cisco", which is also a computer related firm. So i insist not to say "SEQUEL" and always stick to "S-Q-L", for avoiding confusions and further explanations :)midnite

Oh it's funny! It's also good to know that i am in the majority.As i know (hope it's right), the founder for SQL are suggesting us to pronounce SQL as "SEQUEL". i'd like to say as "SEQUEL" too. Yet the biggest problem is it will have a confusion with the company "cisco", which is also a computer related firm. So i insist not to say "SEQUEL" and always stick to "S-Q-L", for avoiding confusions and further explanations :)midnite
How do you confused SEQUEL with Cisco? Cisco is pronounced: Sis-Co. Sequel is pronounce: sequel (as in the sequel of a story). They don't even sound alike. I've heard the words: Sequel and Cisco thousands of times and never once got them confused. They don't even sound alike.For me, I rarely every hear: S.Q.L. I always say Sequel. I always say MySequel [MySQL], SequelLite [sqlite], and Oracle Sequel *Plus

How do you confused SEQUEL with Cisco? Cisco is pronounced: Sis-Co. Sequel is pronounce: sequel (as in the sequel of a story). They don't even sound alike. I've heard the words: Sequel and Cisco thousands of times and never once got them confused. They don't even sound alike.For me, I rarely every hear: S.Q.L. I always say Sequel. I always say MySequel [MySQL], SequelLite [sqlite], and Oracle Sequel *Plus
. As for PostgreSQL, I just say Postgres (pogress).i really have no talent for phonetics so it is hard to tell you how a pronounce them in words. i try my best: SEQUEL as "seek-co" and Cisco as "sis-co". Oh i think it is more or less like how u pronounce them. The point is, in Cisco, if the middle "s" sound is too short or low, they seem the same. You may say SEQUEL has the "k" in the middle. But the "co" in "sis-co" also pronounce as "ko". So the two words are just having the middle "s" sound different: SEQUEL as "si-k-ko" and Cisco as "si-s-ko". Hope you understand my English  

Sequel for me is "see-kwell". But I say SQL as "es-qu-ell".

Archived