Changing Links

bmroyer

My site is almost 100% HTML, and I have alot of pages and alot of links. Now if I want to add a link to all the pages, is there a way to do that without php or editing all the freaking pages manualy? Does dreamweaver do this? Like I want to add a link to my index page, and I want all the other pages to have it added as well. Thanks.

Sounds like you should look into SSI. This allows you to store your menu of links for example in one file and then insert this file on every page so you only have one area to edit.You may need to upgrade to PHP or ASP to use this though. I think that if you chang your HTML pages to the extension .shtml the SSI will work.Good Luck

i don't know what your programming background is, but a little script my make short work of the immediate problem. ( The ultimate problem, one of writing web sites that are maintainable, is addressed by the first reply above; most of the web application platforms specifically address such issues of maintenance ). If you really have a lot of pages that need changed, it's probably worth your while to learn a scripting language, such as Perl, that can automate those changes. I'm quite sure that you can learn the scripting language and do the work in about the same time it will take just to do the work manually. So, might as well make it interesting.