CSS Parenting

Synook

Hello all,I'm sure there was an old topic about this but I can't seem to find it. So, how would I create a CSS definition that only selects the direct children of a certain element. So, say I wanted to have a style for all tables in a document, but not tables within those tables. Instead I just want to have a style for tables that are direct children of the <body> element, i.e. for body table but not for body table table.

:first-child selects the first child of the childs of an element. For example:

<body>  <div id="first">	<div id="firstFirst">	</div>	<div id="firstSecond">	</div>  </div>  <div id="second">  </div></body>

with

body div:first-child {background-color:#000;color:#FFF;}

will only match #first and #firstFirst.You can get all of the first div children (#first and #second, without #firstFirst and #firstSecond) with

body > div

The later is not supported in IE6 (I think) and :first-child. I'm not sure, but I think in IE7, it behaves like the later (haven't tested IE6, and I wasn't testing exactly that on IE7 either).

Check the list of selectors:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.htmlE > F will match an element F that is a child of an element E. So this:div > awill match this:<div><a>but not this:<div><p><a>Also, this:E + F will match any element F that is preceded by an element E. So this:div + spanwill match this span element:<div></div><span></span>because it is preceeded by a div.

Archived